Talk

Advanced search

What is life like in St. Michael's Estate in Colchester

(9 Posts)
rain790 Thu 09-Feb-17 11:02:04

Hi there,

My husband and I are moving to Colchester for his next posting. We've been given housing in St. Michael's Estate which I know is the place we had to avoid.

It's too late now and I'm worried. Can someone please reassure and tell me what life and housing is like in St. Michael's?

We actually didn't get any pictures of the house before choosing it and had a look only yesterday, it was small and full of rubbish and definitely not ready for us to move in.
Freaking out so bad. Please talk to me!

Idefix Fri 10-Feb-17 10:01:34

Rain maybe silly question but are you on Facebook? There is a page called married quarters-r-us. I don't know Colchester but there is bound to be members on there that can give you some advice.

rain790 Fri 10-Feb-17 11:35:38

Not a silly question at all and in fact, I am no longer on Facebook. I guess I may have to reconsider that.
Thank you for replying!

Idefix Fri 10-Feb-17 11:42:35

No worries, I dip in and out of fb but for things like this I think it is invaluable. You will get very honest opinions ime. Good luck with your move smile

ELW2006 Wed 22-Feb-17 17:44:02

Hi Rain790

Just seen this post.

My husband is in the Army and we spent six years living on St Michael's estate and found it great!! We were very lucky as we were tucked away in a little cul de sac so was nice and quiet but never had any problems there at all. Great location as your about 10 mins from town centre and 10 mins from Tollgate retail park/motorway/zoo etc.

In fact, we loved our posting so much we just bought our first home in Colchester back in September and not too far from St Michael's.

Don't hesitate to shout if you have any questions! xXx

rain790 Thu 23-Feb-17 00:49:16

Thank you very much!

rain790 Thu 23-Feb-17 00:56:19

Thanks so much for your reply. I am glad to hear from you. Sounds like I have plenty to look forward to!
I almost wish you were still there haha. Always nice to meet people who enjoy where they're posted.
What mostly scared me was the state of our assigned house when we came to move in! But I'm hoping like you and others have said, we enjoy our new adventure in Colchester.

Beautifulmummy32 Thu 16-Mar-17 20:54:24

Hi please can someone give me some advice as I need to make a big choice I have two children, 5 year old and a 10 month old I currently live in London and my partner is in training...
he will be posted in Colchester.
we are entitled to marriage quarters and I just want to know how everything works... are the houses in good condition (Morden) and also could we choose to rent somewhere if we aren't happy with what we are given?
Are the schools good?
The area also ...?
It's a really big choice I'm going to have to make asppecialy moving my kids away from family and I don't want to regret the choice
Would really appreciate if someone can let me know.
Many thanks

rain790 Thu 23-Mar-17 09:12:55

Hi Beautifulmummy32 I don't have any kids so I can't tell you about the schools etc.

The area itself is nice to live in, a lot of military families around, lots of children.
The houses are pot luck and we didn't get a good pick. Rent is very high (for us) had we decided to go for outside housing.

All in all its a nice place to be. Good luck with your decision!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now