Talk

Advanced search

Married quarters and five children

(7 Posts)
NoRoomForALittleOne Wed 28-Sep-16 21:46:31

My DH is looking at joining the Army as a chaplain. He is ex-TA with an Op Telic tour under his belt so we're not totally naive but clearly regular Army and as a chaplain will be very different. Anyway, we have five children and have been told that we would be housed in Major's quarters. I have absolutely no idea what the housing is like. Germany is highly likely as a first posting if that helps at all. So, is it possible to fit a family of seven in to Major's quarters? Any other advice at this stage is welcome 😊

FiveGoMadInDorset Wed 28-Sep-16 21:50:30

I went to school with some girls from a family of 9 children, they were given quarters next door to each other to accommodate all the children. This was back in the 80's though so can't say how it would work now. There are quarters in the army camp opposite that have 5 bedrooms so feasible possibly

OrangesAreTheOnlyFruit Fri 30-Sep-16 10:50:08

Hiya. Majors quarters should be 4 bedrooms so you'll fit with no guest bedroom. You could re-role the dining room (as long as its not open plan with the living room) into another bedroom. I know people who have their lounge as a lounge diner. Often though the kitchen isn't big enough for a table. You do put down all your dependents on the form and you can request a larger quarter (as non-entitled) so you may be in luck. Although you won't get more bedrooms, you could get a study which could be a downstairs bedroom for an older child. Hth. Don't google for images of germany quarters though! You'll put yourself off.

NoRoomForALittleOne Fri 30-Sep-16 21:35:15

We currently live in a small four bed that is more like a two bed house downstairs but it has bedroom space over the garage. We don't have a separate dining room and can barely fit a table in the kitchen. What we do have is a garage and a fully boarded loft. Losing those could be a big issue for us.

blueamberuk Fri 30-Sep-16 23:54:25

Actually my husband was a "lowly" nco lol and the quality of the house we had on base in Germany was superb. Wonderful modern kitchen, triple glazing, great bathroom, big cellar for laundry, big attic for storage, beats UK standards hands down. If you are used to a "posh" lifestyle you may feel hard done to but you will be far far better off than many people in the UK could dream of at hoise prices today. Some people just want the moon.

OrangesAreTheOnlyFruit Sat 08-Oct-16 01:04:56

You should get a garage and you can board it yourself for storage.

Asbas24 Sun 09-Oct-16 19:20:27

If you get Germany you may well also have a basement (I've seen many knitted out as games rooms, bars, cinemas etc) but be prepared for the potential for flooding. It is unlikely you can use your loft as current regulations say we should not be using mod properties to store / use lofts as part of house space. Majors qtrs are generally a good size!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now