Talk

Advanced search

MQ's in Plymouth area

(9 Posts)
user1464730439 Wed 01-Jun-16 22:28:01

Hello

I'm desperate for some help!
OH is being posted to Plymouth (raleigh). We're moving into quarters but we've heard horror stories about quarters in Plymouth, not only with areas but the houses themselves. My daughter will need to attend a primary school and i'm self employed so will need to build my business.

I'm getting very little information from welfare about addresses but i've done a little research myself and had a look on google earth. The nicest looking houses seem to be in Torpoint? However, i know nothing about Torpoint. Someone suggested that Plympton/Plymstock area was the best but i'm not so sure from what i've seen on google earth!
We really don't want to live in the centre of Plymouth but OH has been told he can't opt for an area and he will get what he's given, regardless of whether its a flat or not.

It will be a big move for us but i have to put mine and my daughters needs first.

I hope someone can help me!

OrangeNoodle Wed 01-Jun-16 22:30:59

Hello. HMS Raleigh is actually in Torpoint which is in Cornwall, the other side of the Tamar from Plymouth. It's absolutely fine. A small riverside town which is 15 minutes on the Torpoint car ferry from Plymouth but also surrounded by absolutely stunning Cornish countryside and amazing beaches.

There is a really excellent primary school in Antony, 5 minutes outside Torpoint, although I hear Torpoint primaries are also fine.

user1464730439 Wed 01-Jun-16 22:35:27

Hello!

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply.

Is there much in Torpoint, do you know? I've been told there is only a sainsburys local and a few grotty night clubs!

xxx

OrangeNoodle Wed 01-Jun-16 22:56:39

Not much in the town itself. There is a Sainsburys, a small high street, a leisure centre etc, a few reasonable takeaways, vet, medical centre, dentist, bakery etc. The Harbour Lights nightclub has closed which is a good thing!

It is a very small place but is easy to access the centre of Plymouth plus the gorgeous Royal William Yard by bus, car or on foot on the torpoint ferry which takes 10-15 mins.

OrangeNoodle Wed 01-Jun-16 22:57:10

Oh and a sailing club x

user1464730439 Fri 03-Jun-16 11:17:53

Great, thanks for your help

Nicknamegrief Fri 03-Jun-16 11:29:00

Has your HO submitted the housing application? Has he explained how it works?

Once he's completed the form, CA have 15working days and provide you with a list of the avaliable houses at your entitlement.
You have 15days to pick 3 and then you are allocated one. Sometimes there is only one house available so you don't get a say, sometimes the choices you picked end up being withdrawn (due to posting changes etc) and you get allocated somethings completely different.

There are various FB groups for armed forces quarters and people can offer more helpful advice.

The system can seem really awkward at times and CA who run the housing contract are awful, but patch life is generally what you make it and we have always had helpful and friendly neighbours, which makes up for a lot of inconveniences that forces life brings.

user1464730439 Fri 03-Jun-16 11:42:46

Hi

That's really helpful. I didn't know they offered a list of available houses so that's great, thank you.

car1sberg Mon 19-Dec-16 13:41:46

Hello,

I moved to Torpoint 2 years ago, my husband works at Raleigh. We're very happy here, would choose this side of the river over the quarters on Plymouth side any time! Happy to answer any questions you might have, feel free to PM me!

X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now