Talk

Advanced search

Deployment Help Needed

(3 Posts)
Needaglassofwinedotcom Sat 11-Jul-15 19:52:37

Hubbie soon to be deployed. It'll be the first time for me as a wife and I've no idea what to expect. He thinks he'll be able to contact twice a week, but there is no mobile signal so no text etc.

I want to write and send parcels but have no idea what I can send, how to package etc.

Help!

Dashie Sat 11-Jul-15 20:15:41

Hi there! We're coming to the end of our third tour of Afghanistan. Is that where your husband is off to? Usually the regiment gives a pre-deployment briefing where you are given lots of useful information and can ask questions.
Communication can be very variable. It depends on where they are based and how good/busy the wifi is there. We depend on FaceTime and iMessage from his iPad to my iPhone. They are not allowed anything with 3G. Be realistic about how often you will hear from him and don't expect a call at a specific time. Sometimes they simply can't call when they want to.
They will also get a phone card and can buy extra minutes for this.
The ebluey system works well and can be used both ways. You type a message online and it is printed out at the other end. You can also include photos. Google it to find out more and sign up.
Letters/parcels up to 2kg are free to Afghanistsn but have to be taken to the post office. You can include most things but no aerosols, alcohol, various foods. They tend to appreciate nice treats to eat, books, magazines, clean pants! Also any little reminders of home. We send a lot of drawings from my children. Start saving any shoebox sized boxes. I usually wrap a plastic bag round and use lots of parcel tape.
Above all make sure you've got good support back home. Are you in married quarters with other wives nearby who also have husbands deploying? Don't be afraid to ask for advice and support from other families who know what it's like.
Hope this all helps. I hope it all goes well for you both.

Needaglassofwinedotcom Sun 12-Jul-15 20:02:16

Thanks Dashie. Its not Afghan this time. I'm not in married quarters so haven't had a briefing or any other military support. I have support of family, friends though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now