Talk

Advanced search

LOOK SSAFA's Big Brew Up is a Featured MN Campaign!

(29 Posts)
skirt Mon 12-Sep-11 15:57:56

faints with excitement and puts kettle on www.mumsnet.com/campaigns/links-to-other-organisations

pinkem Tue 13-Sep-11 10:42:04

Yeah Mumsnet smile I'm helping with the one on my base, We have Krispy Kreme doughnuts and they always sell quickly.

whenIgetto3 Tue 13-Sep-11 11:41:22

pinkem where are you? can I come? I LOOOVVVEEEE Krispy Kreme

My DHs unit is away when the big brew is on and as we are not on a normal camp, all in hirings spread around the area we have no where to use to meet and have a brew up sad I did ask about getting into the Btn and using the hall/kitchen but was told that as they are all away for the month the other staff who should be left at home are all going on leave shock

LtEveDallas Tue 13-Sep-11 17:06:21

Well that's just fucking great sad angry

First comment on MN FB post supporting the Big Brew Up is calling soldiers babykillers!

Fucking typical

mpsw Tue 13-Sep-11 17:19:55

sad - how long since most of MN was calling for the Forces to protect during the riots? And back to the name calling already. I despair sometimes, and am truly saddened.

mpsw Tue 13-Sep-11 17:24:57

But unsurprised at the ignorance: it isn't actually that well known that SSAFA will help all former service personnel, their widows and other dependence. And that the definition of former service personnel includes National Service, so they're actually slagging off nearly every pensioner in the country as almost all are eligible.

LtEveDallas Tue 13-Sep-11 17:35:35

I am sooooo pissed off. And yes, I thought exactly that about the riots = Army good, peace = Army bad bollocks.

I'm going to report my post and see if MN will remove that FB post.

You know I am so so proud to be in the Forces, but MN just makes me feel so so bad.

whenIgetto3 Tue 13-Sep-11 17:39:44

I did think of posting on FB that someone who doesn't use their real name, is clearly uneducated in their points of view and does not have a real grasp of facts would not be welcome at a big brew but didn't want to put my real name on a open forum to identify myself as a forces wife. You never know the guy could be a radicalised nutter trying to get info on forces people by spurting off at them.

LtEveDallas Tue 13-Sep-11 17:45:47

WhenI, as long as your FB is not open, ie it's restricted to your friends then you should be ok. But I understand your concern. Maybe I'll steal your comment and post it myself!

whenIgetto3 Tue 13-Sep-11 17:50:10

feel free LTEve but I thought if you post on the MN FB comment then the friends only can see this option as security didn't come up, BTW my FB may be slightly different as I update on the US schedule not the UK one I had the log where I am (GPS) feature a whole 6-8 months before all my UK friends (it is because I got my account whilst on a US posting)

skirt Tue 13-Sep-11 18:32:14

I'd love him or her to come to my big brew up.

LtEveDallas Tue 13-Sep-11 19:27:25

Sadly I think that 'Misty' sounds like a MNer, the tone of speech is similar to someone here. I hope I'm wrong sad

Would love to get that arse to my Big Brew Up. First he could be held at gunpoint by all us babykilling soldiers, then he could meet all the old boys that we've been supporting for years, oh and in place of biscuits he could chat to our guests of honour this year, the bereaved children and spouses of some of our bravest...

Nothing from HQ yet, why am I not surprised?

skirt Tue 13-Sep-11 20:05:15

Shall we have an online one here in BBU week? We can invite Gransnet and all of ARRSE. They love a good ruck and am sure would love to debate alongside us.

pinkem Tue 13-Sep-11 20:32:09

grin sounds like a plan Skirt.
whenIgetto3 if your in Bedfordshire you are more than welcome to our Big Brew Up.

LtEveDallas Tue 13-Sep-11 21:19:20

Bloody hell, can you imagine the ArRSers in here...it would be carnage! They'd be rushing back to the Rear with their tails between their legs.

(I'm quite a prolific ArRSer, but nothing in here!)

KateMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 13-Sep-11 21:35:48

Thanks for drawing this to our attention. As you know, we're all for free speech and differing opinions, and we only tend to delete comments that break our Talk guidelines. And we note that plenty of others have forcefully and eloquently begged to differ with the poster in question wink

mpsw Tue 13-Sep-11 22:10:16

LtEveDallas: now I'm wondering......

LtEveDallas Tue 13-Sep-11 22:25:36

Check out the FB thread now. I'm seething.

I've taken a screen shot and will show the SSAFA office on site tomorrow. I can't believe MN. Well done KateMN, this week we've seen all the disablist bollocks, now the Anti Forces sentiment is acceptable. Unbelievable.

I am a serving soldier, a mum and a MNer. I feel personally attacked by the suggestion that I have 'unlawfully killed children' or that my friends and colleagues have done so.

I should have just stayed on ArRSe. More fool me.

scaryteacher Wed 14-Sep-11 10:06:14

Don't leave though; how are we ever going to rebut the allegations if those serving like you and Mrs Snaplegs, and those of us who are married to Forces Personnel let the buggers rile us? That's what they want. Don't let the bastards grind you down!

LtEveDallas Wed 14-Sep-11 12:57:04

Hi Scary,

I haven't decided what to do yet - I thought being a member here as well as a member of ArRSe gave me a well rounded view - it's not like I could ask Arrsers about breastfeeding is it! But then, I suppose I dont use MN as much as I thought I would. Would I miss it? I dont know.

I was bloody upset yesterday - still upset at the MN view. I suppose I'm just bloody naive - I really thought that after the riots threads things might change here.

'Misty Merkins' posts are still there on FB - they've removed the shitty YouTube link, but they are happy to keep the 'unlawfully killing children' remarks.

Can you imagine all the 'old boys' that we are hosting on camp in Oct seeing those remarks - can you imagine how they would feel? - I think that's why I'm so pissed off, the support to SSAFA is about more than the current serving soldiers and campaigns - hijacking it on FB is so bloody disrespectful. MN supporting it...just wow

mpsw Wed 14-Sep-11 13:09:13

If you asked in the NAAFI it would be bound to lead to trouble!

Stick with it here - The Other Half is pretty useless, and Forces' Sweethearts is much better than Rear Party!

In the SSAFA context, I'd also like to see someone make such vile comments to the face of anyone who has been through a Stepping Stones refuge, or stayed in either Norton House.

TheBends Wed 14-Sep-11 13:31:16

I'm cross too - have a DH who is currently risking his life trying to make it safe for others - and the smiley face at the end of KateMN's message is just a tad patronising.

whenIgetto3 Wed 14-Sep-11 13:40:34

The thing that gets me is that it is not our loved ones, LtEve or MrsSnaplegs who make the decisions on where to go to war it is the government that idiots like Misty elected, although with his view point he is probably someone who likes to shout a lot but didn't actually vote as then he wouldn't have a come back. Whatever your viewpoint on legality of wars and the reasons for them the soldiers/airmen/sailors are just doing their jobs and doing what a democratically elected government asked them to. They deserve the respect and support of the people who effectively asked them to go risk their lives

scaryteacher Wed 14-Sep-11 14:19:27

LtEve, MN wants the publicity of a ruck - it will get in the papers and increase traffic to the site. Do you really think they actually give a damn about how posters feel?

The other point about people like Misty (I don't do FB for just this reason), is that they would never have the balls to say it to your face, my face, dh's face, and they wouldn't hack it if they were in anyway. Misty is an inadequate human being who gets his/her kicks from shouting loudly and then running away. They have no grasp of what actually goes on, and probably glean their info from the Sun, as the literacy level required for the DT would be far too high for them.

LtEveDallas Wed 14-Sep-11 17:40:07

Voice of reason ScaryTeacher...bet your pupils feel the same!

I've calmed down now. Had a lovely chat (and a cuppa) with the old Colonel on camp that runs SSAFA in this area. He was a lot more tolerant than me. I mean he saw his arse at the comments, but I suppose he's seen worse. Shite though. They deserve better than that.

Glad I didn't go off half cocked last night...seriously considered posting the comments on ArRSe, but the thought of how shite an 'invasion' would be finally calmed me down. Seeing the shite the Feminists and the SN community are getting at the moment - 'Misty' is just one person with disgusting views. I've got to remember that.

I still feel let down by MN, but Ive given my head a shake and realised that you are right. MN is a business, nothing more nothing less...it's like asking Tesco to care isn't it?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now