Talk

Advanced search

Tell me about NonCom accommodation in Brize Odiham and Benson

(26 Posts)
NormaStanleyFletcher Sun 28-Aug-11 19:32:20

Hoping for one of those three in the next couple of months. Currently at Halton. House in DHE patch in civvi estate - not bad but SMALL.

Have heard there may be a shortage of houses at Brize?

NormaStanleyFletcher Mon 29-Aug-11 15:56:06

NormaStanleyFletcher Mon 29-Aug-11 20:17:27

cough

whenIgetto3 Mon 29-Aug-11 20:25:09

Not sure on how much there is but friends of my DDs moved to Brize 3 weeks ago and I think they had been waiting a while, all to do with a lot of people moving from Lyneham as it shuts down. I know Odiham has always had a house shortage and they usually end up putting a lot of people in Bordon as overflow housing (we lived at Bordon which is how I know). Never known anyone living at Benson on the patch (friends moved into their own house there).

Sure someone will be along soon who knows the RAF better than me (we are army) and will be able to tell you (slow on here right now due to school holidays)

herbietea Mon 29-Aug-11 20:26:03

Message withdrawn

herbietea Mon 29-Aug-11 20:31:37

Message withdrawn

NormaStanleyFletcher Tue 30-Aug-11 03:08:44

Thanks Herbie smile

IwanttobeShirleyValentine Tue 30-Aug-11 10:09:57

There is also (so I have been told by several) a substantial SFA shortage at Benson. Supposedly made worse by several Kinloss Squadrons moving there.
A friend in Kinloss told me there are lots families more less forced into a MU situation whilst they wait on the list SFA to become available. We had the option of Bensoin last year but when DH looked into it we were put off by the stories of lack of housing. The rumour mill was also saying they are making people wait for available SFA rather than subsidising private rentals due to the budget cutback. No idea how true that is but something we kept hearing.

Brize is pretty poor atm because despite deciding to close Lyneham & move the Hercd to Brize in 2003 they didnt start doing anything about housing situation until a a year or 2 ago. The problem has been made worse because so much of the original Brize housing has been condemned and deemed unfit for human habitation. They are still boarding up and knocking down old SFA and seem to be very slow redeveloping. There are lots of current personnel at Brize that have had to move SFA because of the housing conditions and they (apparently) get priority over personnel being posted in. There are rumours around that the housing at Lyneham will remain RAF (and Army as it now) and personnel will be bused over. If you do apply to Lyneham you may wish to consider being housed at Abingdon, Bicester, Long Hanborough, Shrivenham and I am not sure if there are still some SFA at Fairford.

No info on Odiham.

Good luck.

NormaStanleyFletcher Tue 30-Aug-11 10:28:41

Cheers.

It all sounds a bit bleak!

This posting (Halton) is the first one where I have come with him, and it sounds as though I have had a rather smooth ride to let me in gently!

Not sure how much choice he is going to be given. I guess we will just have to be happy if we manage to get a posting (and SFA) where I can continue to commute to my job

shesgotherlipstickon Tue 30-Aug-11 14:35:42

Lyneham housing is still being used. Even for people not being posted to brize/lyneham but other surrounding areas. New postings inc.

Odiham is nice, if you get Burghfield. I miss that place, the 1/4's are amazing. Otherwise the camp housing sucks. It was on one of those programmes showing how crap sfa is.

NormaStanleyFletcher Tue 30-Aug-11 17:26:31

DH is going to call and find which places may have 4 bed houses (think we are entitled to that now, DS2 is 11 (12 next week) and DD is 5 - eldest is an adult and won't be with us, but the kids can't share.)

Thank you to all who have replied. It is a minefield this thing, complicated by my job being in London, and I really don't want to give it up

<<has nightmares about getting posted to Cyprus or Gibralta>>

shesgotherlipstickon Tue 30-Aug-11 19:17:59

With 2 kids, even 3 no you arent entitled to a 4 bed. Unless the job calls for it, you will be expected to go in a 3. Entitlement starts a 4 kids for a 4. I know this back to front.

They are offering under entitlement in the places you and expecting you to take it. That is why lyneham houses are being kept on, for the 4 beds. There are none for postings miles around. I know as soon as people move, they are posting people in. Most of whom have been on the waiting list for safa at entitlement for postings all around, including brize and the sw. Odiham etc, the same.

With 2, you wont get a 4.

Berryred Tue 30-Aug-11 19:29:02

I have friends at Odiham and the house they are in is a good size, parking pants though! they got a house no problems in March.

don't know on the others

McDreamy Tue 30-Aug-11 19:30:54

Come to Lyneham come to Lyneham! You can commute from Chippenham! How I would love to live near you again! I know where all the good coffee shops are grin

NormaStanleyFletcher Tue 30-Aug-11 20:33:01

Hello my lovely!

I would love to live next door to near you too - have missed you. I would have been a crap mate though, what with work.

I have now been to colchester though, the G*&^^ Hou&^ - that was interesting!

Thank you all for advice. Bummed at not getting 4 bedder, was told by housing person that we were eligible. What is the JSP that tells me what should get?

herbietea Tue 30-Aug-11 20:34:42

Message withdrawn

NormaStanleyFletcher Tue 30-Aug-11 20:49:39

I have PMed my real life name to you Herbie shock

cryhavoc Tue 30-Aug-11 20:52:13

I'm at Benson. We're in a three bed end of terrace, which is quite old and spectacularly badly planned, but it's home for now.
As far as I know the camp is quite full, but all the housing is behind the wire and the surrounding area is really nice. Close to Oxford and Reading for shopping, local towns are lovely, and the villages around the camp are pretty and rural.
You could easily commute to London from here. Didcot 20 mins away, M40 also close.
PM me if you want to know more.

McDreamy Tue 30-Aug-11 21:38:49

I can live with Benson - we can meet at Bicester! wink

I can live with Brize, we can meet in Swindon.

Not sure about Odiham - is that near Bicester? We plan this around coffee shops wink

McDreamy Tue 30-Aug-11 21:40:31

I mean we need to plan this around coffee shops!

swingingcat Tue 30-Aug-11 21:54:09

Entitled to a 4 bed if 3 kids are over 10 yrs of age.

NormaStanleyFletcher Wed 31-Aug-11 10:17:53

We will plan around coffee shops smile

Odiham is west of London - Basingstoke way

Thanks Swingingcat - I must have been mis-informed by (slightly drunk) housing person

Saltire Wed 31-Aug-11 10:26:14

Our neighbour is waiting for a MQ at Benson, she has a child and lives with her boyfriend but neither of them drive, so they cannot take an offer of an MQ elsewhere, unless MT or transport was laid on.

Also a friend has recently gone to Brize and ahd to wait a good 6 motnhs to get allocated

As for the 4 bed thing - I personally think it depends on which HIC area you are in, who you know and if your face fits. IMO anyway

NormaStanleyFletcher Wed 31-Aug-11 10:32:42

Argghh. Thing is I can't work if DH has to go and work at Brize or somewhere while we stay here. He does DDs drop off and pick up. I end up working a 4 hour day if I do both.

It is good to see you though saltire. How's things with you (not been around much, too much work)?

Saltire Wed 31-Aug-11 10:35:42

No - not working, the children all left due to parents moving them to other providers (taking them to court)or parents posted. Not been very good health wise though, in a lot of pain and going back to Rheumy and Gynie nxt month

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now