Talk

Advanced search

Raising a glass of champagne...

(13 Posts)
jcscot Wed 10-Aug-11 19:50:32

...(albeit on my own) because my husband got promoted and put his new rank up yesterday! The pay rise (and op bounty from the fast-approaching op tour) is going on a new kitchen and bathroom (yay!) and the husband has promised to buy me some real pearls at last wink .

I am ridiculously proud of him as he's only 37 and has held his commission since 1999, so his promotion has been rather rapid to say the least.

He's home this weekend, so we'll have some more fizz to celebrate together. Tonight, however, he's in the Mess celebrating with his colleagues.

I am expecting a somewhat inebriated phonecall any time after 10pm.

TalcAndTurnips Wed 10-Aug-11 20:25:30

Fabulous news jcscot - it is such a proud moment when you see them with that extra stripe/pip/crown for the first time! Congratulations to your husband.

Obviously it is thoroughly deserved - enjoy the extra salary. It's always a treat when DH promises one a pearl necklace wink

jcscot Wed 10-Aug-11 20:31:40

He's just put up an extra pip in addition to the crown that was already there, so it's quite a jump in pay and in responsibility - I don't thin it's sunk in for him yet. It'll sink in for me when I see the pay statement, I think!

TalcAndTurnips Wed 10-Aug-11 20:36:35

I'm with you now (I'm more familiar with the gold sleeve stripe, you see - but I managed to work it out! grin)

Sidge Wed 10-Aug-11 21:55:22

That's great news, congratulations to him!

Enjoy your celebrations (and your new kitchen grin)

Scootergrrrl Wed 10-Aug-11 21:59:57

Well done the jscots! Might join you there next year.

scaryteacher Wed 10-Aug-11 23:12:26

Fab! Watch out for the tax though - I was shocked by the amount we didn't get when dh got his brass hat.

jcscot Thu 11-Aug-11 00:39:01

I know - it is really galling that 40% of his pay rise will go straight back in tax. Mind you, it's still a decent chunk of money. He's starts his PDT right away and is going on ops in a couple of months, so we'll get little chance to enjoy it.

We'll get a nice holiday at the end of the tour, though and we'll do some much-needed work on the house.

wheresthepimms Thu 11-Aug-11 11:48:35

Well done to the jscots I chinked your champagne, we had some last night too as we were celebrating 15 years of being married (not sure whether we are married to each other or to DHs occupation grin)

jcscot Thu 11-Aug-11 19:41:13

Congrats on your wedding anniversary - we've been married eleven years and I sometimes think I'm married to the Army, rather than than just the man; especially when it comes to entertaining/feeding them!

We're having a dinner party tomorrow night, so more champagne and celebrations to come.

hf128219 Mon 15-Aug-11 22:22:20

Good news! smile

coccyx Wed 17-Aug-11 08:45:40

Have no idea about his rank promotion, but congratulations

mpsw Fri 19-Aug-11 23:25:06

Congratulations!

This is the one where you (both) start being a Grown Up grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now