Talk

Advanced search

LONG: Help re ill DD registered with Boarding sch GP but want her to see SMO over summer

(19 Posts)
alittleconcernednow Fri 08-Jul-11 23:18:48

No idea which is the best section to post this in have already posted in Childrens health but someone suggested I may get better advice here.

My 10yo DD has for a while now (since start of year) had funny turns where she feels achey and shakey. She goes white as a sheet usually after eating, sometimes starts to tremble and just feels "off and wobbly". She sometimes complains of nausea and sometimes these symptoms are accompanied by a high temperature.

She is at boarding school some 2 1/2 hours away and registered with the school GP as per the norm.

I spoke to DD yesterday and she was very excited and looking forward to an event today at school, but did mention her legs felt achey again.

This evening I have had a call from the school nurse to say she is in sick bay after showing the symptoms I mentioned above, including a high temperature. As it was near DDs normal school bedtime and she was already asleep it has been agreed that school will call us in the night (if need be) but will call first thing tomorrow and we may go and bring her home, if she is still the same.

At the end of last term DD was having alot of these episodes and the school GP examined her and nothing conclusive was found. We were told there was no real need of concern and to see how she goes. She had another episode at the start of the Easter holidays so I took her to see my Drs (the SMO on our camp). They too were very vague, saying much the same.

DD has been in the most part well this term apart from a 48hr tummy bug. However, this latest episode is really concerning me. All in all I reckon this must be the 10th such episode of these symptoms since Xmas. My mothers instinct is now telling me I want matters taken more seriously and investigated further.

This is where things become a little complicated and I would appreciate some knowledge or advice from some of you that may know how the NHS works better than me.

DD could be home tomorrow (if still unwell) but breaks up from school on Tuesday for the summer holidays and wont be back at school until 12th September - 2 months away. There is no way I am leaving things that long. It is not really viable to travel 145 miles to see her school GP over the holidays and any hospital referrals the school GP makes will be in that part of the country.

I would like to get her registered with the SMO here on camp, but can I do this for a temporary period of say 2 months (I do realise if a hospital referral is made it will probably need to be for alot longer than 2 months)? I know our SMO/GP will see her here no problem, you just fill out a standard temp patient form (done that plenty of times), but the problem with this is that they dont have her records and dont treat as a long term patient - its more of a stop gap in an emergency. Ideal for say the emergency antibiotics for a bout if tonsillitus or somethin, not a long term condition & not something vague like this, that needs further investigations imo - blood tests perhaps etc etc.

I am at a loss as to what to do. I could just register her here on camp with the SMO no probs and push for further investigations but then come September I think there will be issues with her not being registered with the school GP. The reason the school registers boarders with the local GP is that in an emergency they have permission to act, and however fab and caring the school nurses are they cannot possibly know the medical history for 240 pupils, if her records are not at the school GPs surgery then it could cause problems in a medical emergency or if she became ill like this.

Does anyone know if there is any system I can register my DD with the local SMO/GP over the summer but be able to quickly transfer her back to the school GP (depending on the situation re referrals etc)? I know from all our previous house moves that even if I registered her here on camp first thing Monday morning her actual medical notes are unlikely to get here before September, they seem to always take ages.

Arrrggghhh - just not sure of the best way forward, I just know if I take her to ANY GP here without registering her, I will be fobbed off and I cannot wait to take her back to school in September. Nor is it viable to take her upto her school GP over the summer; not just because of the 21/2 hour drive but also my car is about to be scrapped and unlikely to be replaced before the end of the summer (am buying my mums old car when she gets her new one end of August - she lives too far & works to come before then), I would need to reply on public transport and the school and schools GPO are some 12 miles from the nearest train station and quite frankly out in the sticks. My husband is away until October and I have other children at home too.

Sorry its so long. Anyone able to offer any advice at all? [hopeful emotion]

(Oh and I dont mean to sound rude, but please anyone against boarding school, please dont force your opinions on me here, I have heard it all before and are doing what we feel is best in our current situation at the moment with regards to stability and education which yes OBVIOUSLY comes alot further down the list to our DDs health).

Teachermumof3 Fri 08-Jul-11 23:31:17

I can't help from a 'forces' pov, but I know that when I was at university, I was registered with a GP practice at home during the holidays and temporarily with a campus GP during term time. Surely, it can't be too difficult to explain this to your local GP?

jenniec79 Fri 08-Jul-11 23:36:53

You can't be registerd with more than one practice at a time, and multiple moves are the best way to guarantee your notes get lost, but can be seen as a temporary resident by any NHS GP. Get her registered doc to give you a synopsis of her condition that you can take with you though.

Surely the school doc is used to this kind of scenario?

swingingcat Sat 09-Jul-11 14:16:46

I have children at boarding school and my eldest DC has to be seen regualrly by the hospital local to the school. It is a pain with the travelling, 400 miles at the moment!

I would suggest continuing with the school GP for continuity if nothing else.
Good luck

RandomMess Sat 09-Jul-11 14:24:46

If she has an episode over the holidays then I would go to A&E.

Other than that speak to her school GP on the phone and insist she is referred to a paed down there. I can't imagine that the appt will come through before the start of Autumn term.

HomeintheSun Sun 10-Jul-11 11:07:43

would it be possible to get her registered at your local GP/SMO and get the school GP to fax a copy of any relevant docs to them? other than that I would suggest as RandomMess says take her to A&E, something is clearly not right and maybe a pair of "Fresh" eyes might pick something up that others have missed. I would say be as pushey as you need to be to get something sorted, you know YOUR DD better than than the Doctors. Good luck.

Sewmuchtodo Sun 10-Jul-11 11:36:41

If you feel you are getting nowhere fast take her to A&E over the summer should she have another 'episode'. It is easy for them to access her medical notes with a simple call (as it would be for the other gp) but I feel a few further tests may be in order.

MrsSnaplegs Sun 10-Jul-11 20:43:24

Have you spoken to the SMO? Might be worth booking an appt to discuss it with him/ her in advance, most large unit med centers go to Skeleton staff for block leave of your unit does that type of thing. Phone med centre and ask SMO to phone you ref your dd care. How old is she?

MrsSnaplegs Sun 10-Jul-11 20:44:02

Sorry saw she is 10 - could it be puberty kicking in?

Al0uiseG Sun 10-Jul-11 20:47:04

Get some bloods done, ASAP. TELL the school Gp to carry them out.

Whizkidwithacrazystreak Sun 10-Jul-11 22:13:45

Poor you, how worried you must be. Is there any chance you could take her to a private doctor over the holidays? Have the current doctors looked in to abdominal migraines which can cause some of the symptoms you mentioned?

wheresthepimms Mon 11-Jul-11 14:27:36

Is it only happening when she is away at boarding school? Could you keep a food diary? It may be something triggered by a slight food intolerance we had similar situation with our DS1 who is at boarding school, their food is different to ours (he had issues when young so our house is very anti artificial and very home cooked) and he got what is widely referred to as a Xache. Now he knows what not to eat at school it has stopped, we were quick to recognise it as we had been through it before when he was little. With regard to the GP could you take her to grandparents and let them take her saying they are looking after for a week or so and very worried? I pulled this one at easter as our GP is uninterested in the kids as they are registered at boarding school and want you to go to A&E. My parents GP were very good as they know them and understood they would be worried if they had a sick child in their care.

alittleconcernednow Tue 12-Jul-11 16:14:15

Hi, stomache migraines were mentioned as a possibility but I think that was more the school nurse than the school GP.

It has happend at home a few times and she has seen our SMO/GP here but its the usual fob off because she is a temporary patiend with the cover our backs saying as you leave "get her to see her usual GP is it continues".

I have a fab Dr here on camp now - only recentkly discovered him after being taken quite ill and he was very thoroughm,chased up results for me, ran further bloods etc and got to the bottom of a problme I have been living for for years. I think I would take her to see him as he seems so good. Just dont think he will take matters further if she is a temporary resident. I may make the appointment to see him (with DD) and ask him if I register DD if he will take things further.

Grandparents are not an option as they live far away too.

RandomMess Sat 16-Jul-11 23:32:17

How's it going?

alittleconcernednow Sat 16-Jul-11 23:43:02

She has been home since Wednesday for the summer holidays.

She has been fine but had 2 very sudden bouts of diarrhea preceded by going white as a sheet. First lot was Thursday morning and the 2nd bout this evening.

Have made an appointment with my GP on camp for Tuesday. I am going to ask him what he thinks is the best way forward and what course of action would he take if she was not just a temporary resident and then decide what to do.

I am thinking IBS or a food intolerence, but am worried sick to be honest. Its not normal for someone to be this ill so frequently.

Roll on Tuesday.

RandomMess Sun 17-Jul-11 00:13:38

sad it could be wheat or dairy at least over the hols you could try a food exclusion diary?

alittleconcernednow Tue 19-Jul-11 21:47:37

Took DD to my wonder GP on camp today and I am so glad I did.

He agreed things should not be left as they are and said in his opinion she needs to be referred to a pead gastro team. So referred she has been to our local hospital here near our base.

Dr said there was no need to register her here at the camp med ctr unless we wanted to and that he could still refer her and get her seen from this end.

I am so relieved and feel like I have more control over this situation at the mo.

Now just have to wait the 6ish weeks for the appointment.

wheresthepimms Tue 19-Jul-11 22:01:22

I would start keeping a food diary now, as it will be the first thing they will asks you to do and then want you to come back after a few weeks by which point she will be back at school. If you start the diary now you skip to the second appointment questions.

goinggetstough Wed 20-Jul-11 11:47:43

Hope you get the appointment comes quickly. Once you get the appointment it is worth finding out what their cancellation policy is. We found that sometimes calling up on the day of the clinic to see if there were any cancellations meant that we were able to get an earlier appointment but that was for ENT.
Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now