Talk

Advanced search

Broadband and phone lines for less than 12 months

(11 Posts)
Schnullerbacke Thu 07-Jul-11 16:39:27

So we'll be moving back to the UK next week, then stay for 6 months and then leave the country again. From what I can gather, broadband packages are usually for 12 months. Has anyone ever managed to get out of contracts earlier?

Thanks.

wheresthepimms Thu 07-Jul-11 16:46:20

you can but they will charge you for it, unless it is all in you military spouses name and he is deployed from their then if the CO writes a letter you can get out of it but I have heard that it can take lots of calls and lots of letters and who is going to bother their CO for letters so not really worth doing. You may want to consider only using mobiles and getting one of these threestore.three.co.uk/broadband/?mifi=1 good if you are not using too much broadband as they are pay as you go

Schnullerbacke Thu 07-Jul-11 16:54:57

Thanks Pimms. Hmm, both of us use loads of internet so a dongle might be a problem. Ah, nothing is ever straight forward. But I'll look into your suggestion, might be the way to go. Thanks again.

wheresthepimms Thu 07-Jul-11 17:51:04

we tried it when we got back but as we watch a lot of iPlayer it didn't work for us, might be an idea to try getting a rough monthly usage before you move in the next 2 weeks to see if it would work, defo wouldn't do the contract one it was a bit of a rip off as it didn't carry over. If you do use a lot of internet then watch out as a lot of the landline packages have a fair usage policy that we easily go over each month (we imported a big tv that doesn't work here so basically watch all our tv through the pc using it as a large monitorgrin)

vintageteacups Thu 07-Jul-11 18:30:47

I'm sure I recently heard/read about a company that wasn't doing 12 months contracts so that people could easily move if necessary. Only I can't remember who it was.

Plusnet say there's no annual contract - if you pay for the router then you can leave with 10 days' notice.

HooverTheHamaBeads Thu 07-Jul-11 20:48:28

I thought BT did less than 12 month contracts but you pay a loading each month to be able to do this.

wheresthepimms Fri 08-Jul-11 08:03:33

problem with all of them is you have to have a BT landline in order to get the broadband so even if you take out a less than 12 month contract with your broadband you will have to have a 12 month BT contract. Oh and we just found out that if you pay your line rental up front for the 12 months to get the cheapest rate then switch all your calls to another provider they will charge you 1.50 a month for not using their line !!!shock

swingingcat Fri 08-Jul-11 15:27:38

Apply through the MOD BT installation number and no contract tie ins!

I'll hunt around for the phone number.

swingingcat Fri 08-Jul-11 15:37:34

0800 328 9625
MOD BT Connection

loubielou31 Sat 09-Jul-11 08:32:00

We got stung by BT when we moved out here. Some of their contracts are self renewing, so if you don't cancel the contract on the anniversary of taking it out then you are automatically signed up for another full 12 months. I didn't know there was an MOD number, I shall use it in future and read the small print very carefully.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now