Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

MQs at High Wycombe. Where's good?

(18 Posts)
Scorchio Mon 13-Jun-11 15:47:40

Any one know about officers' quarters at RAF High Wycombe? We are due to be posted there in the autumn and know that there are a few different options with regards housing. We will have a DC at primary school, so any info about those too would be helpful. Thanks.

herdingcats Mon 13-Jun-11 19:46:34

Greenwood is good ,all very recently refurbed. School has good reputation and you can walk to functions inthe mess.
Medmenham ,has a very good school ,but there is nothing there ,not even a shop. White Waltham ,have Mq's with little added extras, like ivy growing up the inside wallsshock
Dh has just told me about Bradenham Beeches as well ,but I don't have any info on them.
HTH smile

Berryred Mon 13-Jun-11 20:12:08

I'm on the greenwood patch, TBH it's not very big, but nice as completly re-refubished! There are some bigger houses on Greenwood too. Parkwood and Bradenham beeches (biggest ones) are the other 2 housing estates for Officers at the main camp! Walkable distance from greenwood to local school and shops (spar/coffee shop) and big-ish Co-op, and to the mess teehee!

Are you at HW Herding?

Scorchio Wed 15-Jun-11 10:39:08

Thanks for that. I don't know the area at all and any advice is appreciated!

herdingcats Wed 15-Jun-11 16:49:38

Berryred, Dh was there for 3yrs. We were offered a MQ at Medmenhan after the White Waltham debacle. Unfortunately we were not able to move there either ,due to family stuff. Then later in the tour we were offered Greenwood accepted it and they posted DH 2 weeks later, typical !!
Now at Waddo, due to move July 2012 again.

Berryred Thu 16-Jun-11 21:22:15

Scorchio area is lovely, high wycombe itself is really good for shopping, very nice and new with big shops (only 5 mins in car from main HighWycombe housing) Something on everyday for LO's, okay primary school, if you can get in (usual moving dilemas)!

Medmenham housing is nice, but I do like being at the 'main camp' makes me feel more apart of whats going on! xx

HC- hope the housing better at Waddo! Was at Cranwell before here, really loved the area!

herdingcats Mon 20-Jun-11 17:25:01

Berry ,we're living in our own house here. Down there would have been our 1st MQ. Due to move aggain summer 2012, so will start the move carry on all over again hmm fabulous

MockingbirdsNotForSale Tue 21-Jun-11 12:52:39

Bradenham Beeches is really nice- Its on the same site as the officers mess. Lots of dog walking available too. Getting a MQ can be a bit of a nightmare and you may be offered substitute service families accommodation in a nearby village. The downside is that you get charged Grade 1 accommodation charges. The plus side is you might be in a really nice house in a lovely village!

whizzyrocket Tue 19-Jul-11 15:48:14

I'm on Greenwood too. The house is nice.. well there is a certain amount of woodchip involved but having seen a house at Benson recently I've come to realise the house is nice! It's light and practical. The kitchen could be bigger but there's quite a larder to make up for that. We have a lot of storage too.

I have a friend at Bradenham Beeches and they're good too but obviously it's a pain being behind the wire. It is just by the mess though so it's an easy decision if you can't be bothered to cook!

Strumpypumpy Tue 19-Jul-11 21:42:10

We lived at Greenwood a few tours ago! 2004/05 ish. I find it hard to be impartial about the place. We loved it there. DH was a JO there so left alone essentially. We had a fab tour, made great friends and lived in a smallish but practical quarter. It was woodchip-tastic. The kitchen was awful. But job opportunities for me were fab and the social life was brilliant. I would go back. Every place is what you make of it...

Berryred Fri 05-Aug-11 20:21:56

Whizzy I have noooooooooooooo woodchip grin

any news on your move Scorchio?

Scorchio Sat 06-Aug-11 21:22:22

Well, we've given up on MQ as it looks like they won't have anything for us for months. So, we're going down the private rental route and are just waiting to see what they come up with for us!

herdingcats Sun 07-Aug-11 15:05:17

You can choose your own private rental now all they have to do is ok it. DH told me that as they don't always have what ,or where you want IYSWIM. I would rather do this than take a choice of theirs ,which maybe not so good for me. HTH smile

whizzyrocket Mon 08-Aug-11 13:11:25

By the way, we are definitely moving in late September, so it could well be my house you get! If you're going to be in the area at all, get in touch, I won't mind you coming to have a bit of a look if you want to see the sort of thing you can expect on the patch... you may have to excuse my clutter though!

Scorchio Wed 24-Aug-11 16:52:47

Well, we've got SSFA in Prestwood, and now have to faff about with trying to get a school place. Bucks CC say that we will hear from them "at the end of September" about which school we're being offered! Got confirmation of housing on Monday and move next Tuesday! Grrrr!

swingingcat Wed 24-Aug-11 17:07:15

Scorchio, contact CEAS about schooling, they are very good.

Scorchio Thu 25-Aug-11 13:00:44

Thanks for the tip Cat - will do!

Sarabell2015 Tue 20-Oct-15 14:27:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now