do I wear fancy dress or a ball gown?

vintageteacups Tue 07-Jun-11 23:12:04

What is the theme?

madwomanintheattic Tue 07-Jun-11 23:33:25

<if she says 'beach' can we persuade them to buy the same outfit?>
<whistles innocently>

mpsw Tue 07-Jun-11 23:45:31

That's very naughty!

Perhaps they should go as the Crocodile and the Baby. Then (even without the MN equivalent of a Masonic handshake) they'll all recognise each other by theme.

madwomanintheattic Wed 08-Jun-11 02:43:28

grin
that's the way to do it!

madwomanintheattic Wed 08-Jun-11 02:47:20

i suspect it might not be too difficult to work out who 'mrsso1' might be, though... <ponders> even without the crocodile outfit grin

Happylander Wed 08-Jun-11 18:20:52

Can I be the crocodile? I've been very snappy lately! grin

penguin73 Thu 09-Jun-11 07:33:49

Normal dress rules apply, theme applies purely to the decoration of the mess/food/music etc.

Berryred Fri 10-Jun-11 20:44:33

don't agree there Penguin, last summer was masquerade for us grin this years is Alice in Wonderland! can't go sad was looking forward to that one!

penguin73 Fri 10-Jun-11 22:54:01

Best ask the person who knows (ie the mess ctte) rather than posting on here if that's the case. I've never come across one that where the dress regs have been officially relaxed (although that hasn't stopped some guests making 'interesting' dress choices...) but if you are right B posting on here probably isn't going to be much help.

mpsw Fri 10-Jun-11 23:24:54

The trick is to get something that fits the theme, but still looks near enough a ball dress. My best was for "Round the World in 80 Days" (funny how the same themes are trotted out) with a silk shalwar kamese that fell to mid calf, skimmed beautifully over the lumpy bits, and had lovely embroidery. Add bling. Perfect!

Alice in Wonderland was harder - if you have Booties, Gurkhas and/or Cav nearby, there will already have been fights about who gets to be Alice!

MrsS01 Thu 16-Jun-11 16:23:43

madwomanintheattic - ??? you've lost me ????!!!!

madwomanintheattic Thu 16-Jun-11 16:31:11

there was another practically identical thread on the same day, and we were all looking for outfit/ costume suggestions for another poster... grin it was 'beach' or something, and we were trying to persuade her and dh to go as punch and judy. hence the croc and baby/ that's the way to do it stuff...

and the posting name 'mrsso1' would kind of give the game away (or at least narrow down the field) even if we didn't persuade you to turn up in the same dress/ costume.... assuming you are mrss01, obv, and aren't hanging out where are gazillions of them.

but it was just a joke - i thought you would have seen the other thread with a similar title. apols for any misunderstanding! grin

MrsS01 Thu 16-Jun-11 21:28:38

madwomanintheattic - i see! no problem! No, I didn't see the other thread hence my confusion!

But, my posting name mrsso1 - i'm still confused!

madwomanintheattic Thu 16-Jun-11 21:36:24

well, presumably you're the wife of (one of) the SO1s. or the actual SO1 (although in that instance you'd probably know what the dress code was) wherever the ball is... so unless you are somewhere where SO1s are ten a penny, any other mner might be able to deduce (knowing that and from the 'what to wear' thread) who you were in rl. particularly if you were wearing a crocodile outfit? grin

i have no idea whether mrsso1 is your usual posting name or not btw - not a stalker grin i do think it's kinda funny in a sort of 'wife of' way though. grin

if you aren't the wife of an so1, then disregard completely as i'm off up the wrong tree entirely. (quite plausible)

MrsS01 Thu 16-Jun-11 21:39:59

madwoman- smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now