Talk

Advanced search

fancy dress costume...

(46 Posts)
Happylander Tue 07-Jun-11 17:28:01

Have DH summer ball and the theme is 'the beach'.....yeah great for those skinnie minnies that can wear anything but us barely 5 foot, size 14 (maybe 16!!!!) aren't going to go in some hawian (can't spell today, sorry) outfit or as a mermaid. Have looked at crab costumes etc but you still need your legs out and may be really hot if I wear trousers. Anyway....has anyone got any ideas??? I do not like anything being above my knees or my belly(s) out.....

madwomanintheattic Tue 07-Jun-11 17:32:05

can you get a gorgeous sarong and sparkly flip flops? you could tie it so that it's halterneck and if you have longish hair pin it up with some beachy/ sparkly mermaidy comb gubbins?

baguettecut Tue 07-Jun-11 17:33:23

Yes, I bought an amazing vintage Hawaiian print long dress from eBay for a party a while ago. It was admired for the whole evening with the lei I wore around my neck and flower in hair. Keep looking - you'll strike lucky!

madwomanintheattic Tue 07-Jun-11 17:33:32

<sounds like my idea of a nightmare, btw. and terribly sexist, i have to say. all the women with their flesh out jiggling in bikini tops and blokes in hawaiian shirts. ogle fest in the extreme. v poor taste!>

vintageteacups Tue 07-Jun-11 17:37:42

If it's a ball, then you can bet your life, the women will still wear evening dresses. I would wear an summery evening gown/dress but accessorise and have your hair done all Hawaiian and get some hawaiian flowers to put around your neck etc.

Then wear some pretty sparkly thong sandals/flip flops.

vintageteacups Tue 07-Jun-11 17:39:46

We had a mess do once where the theme was 1960's so I went the whole hog and had a beehive and black polo neck and tweed skirt.

Everyoone else turned up in 1970s Abba type garb and I, in comparison, looked mega boring.

I'd do a nod towards the beach and not worry about it.

how about something like this?

vintageteacups Tue 07-Jun-11 17:40:20

Or this, I adore

Happylander Tue 07-Jun-11 17:40:25

Madwoman - that was my thoughts as well and while not exactly dreading I am not liking it as the choice of costumes are not great however, will look into your suggestion
baguettecut have you got pic of dress? I will look on ebay

madwomanintheattic Tue 07-Jun-11 17:40:35

trying desperately to imagine full on evening dresses and hawaiian shirts... shock

is it definitely fancy dress? or is it just a beach 'theme'?

vintageteacups Tue 07-Jun-11 17:41:55

this with Cannes accessories

It does't have to be Brighton beach - it could be Antibes/St Tropez beach.

Get some gorgeous sunglasses and have your put up in a pretty soft twist and go beach chic.

Happylander Tue 07-Jun-11 17:42:19

vintage it will be full on fancy dress. last years one was a pirate theme and the costumes were outstanding.
Maybe I can find a beach film and go as a from it lol

Happylander Tue 07-Jun-11 17:43:06

I missed out the word character sorry lol

madwomanintheattic Tue 07-Jun-11 17:43:42

it wasn't at borden, was it, vintage? only i have faint memories of wearing denim flares and boots and a very ornately-sequined-genuinely-stolen-from-my-mother's-wardrobe top that weighed a ton...

pre-kids though, so would have been a while back, given that dd1 is 11...

madwomanintheattic Tue 07-Jun-11 17:45:04

i did once go to a 'hollywood' party as a jaws victim... blush

it was quite fun. everyone else was dolled up to nines in starlet mode.

vintageteacups Tue 07-Jun-11 17:45:35

Nope - suffolk.

Aha - so a proper costume do then?

vintageteacups Tue 07-Jun-11 17:47:58

what about a girl friday sort of thing.

Happylander Tue 07-Jun-11 17:49:13

Yep! Just been looking on ebay and seen some longer hawaiian dresses.

vintageteacups Tue 07-Jun-11 17:49:45

Right - here are some ideas for costumes for a theme

madwomanintheattic Tue 07-Jun-11 17:52:29

oh i dare you to put dh in a sailor suit...
g'wan.

vintageteacups Tue 07-Jun-11 17:53:08

that was supposed to say South Pacific theme

vintageteacups Tue 07-Jun-11 17:54:21

hawaiian dresses

vintageteacups Tue 07-Jun-11 17:54:49

more ideas

madwomanintheattic Tue 07-Jun-11 17:55:52

oo, i like that dark red one (second on the first link)

MumblingRagDoll Tue 07-Jun-11 17:57:58

Gorgeous floaty dress or sarongy thing....seashell necklace and anklet..big hibiscus in hair.

mpsw Tue 07-Jun-11 17:59:22

The sailor suit in vintageteacake's link looks good!

You could try dressing for the DDay landings (but you'd have to be obsessively accurate, or some historian geek will bore you for hours if it's wrong).

Some sort of shark/whale (hire from a fancy dress place) - wear at start, but abandon asap to normal party attire.

Go wrapped in a towel - will get the crusties very over-excited. Have a strapless dress underneath.

Running out of ideas: octopus (stuff old tights and attach to suitable dress - or catsuit)? Cover yourself in feathers and say you're a seagull? Recycle a pirate costume? Short wetsuit? With DH as Punch and Judy?

Victorian bathing suit?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: