Talk

Advanced search

Pot Luck Supper

(18 Posts)
vintageteacups Tue 07-Jun-11 11:48:02

Hi - don't tell me I'm being thick (I am) but you know for a pot luck supper, does the person who's hosting tell anyone what to bring or is it literally pot luck?

Or is it a case of asking someone to bring a dessert and another to bring savoury etc?

Otherwise, surely everyone could bring the same thing?

mpsw Tue 07-Jun-11 11:58:52

I think you do need to do a bit of guidance, or you'll end up with all puddings or whatever. So work out your numbers, and ask for a suitable number for each course. But don't try to specify beyond that!

vintageteacups Tue 07-Jun-11 12:06:01

Thank you mpsw.
My head is spinning of all things entertaining!

DH decided that we'd invite everyone on camp to a BBQ a week after we move in..............err, I don't think so!!!

So I've agreed upon a garden party (I decided, he had no choice).
For some reason, he thought that him standing burning cooking meat on a BBQ wouldn't be stressful. I said making pretty sandwiches and cakes and serving with cold drinks and wine would be far easier.

Then I saw a list of wives' things on an email list saying coffee mornings, pot luck suppers, book club, wine club, everything else club - so panicking a bit now!!! Will be nice to be so busy though I guess.

littlelapin Tue 07-Jun-11 12:12:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

vintageteacups Tue 07-Jun-11 12:17:13

See what you mean but I'd be embarrassed at DH's cooking skills. He usually uses petrol to light the BBQ hmm.

littlelapin Tue 07-Jun-11 12:19:23

mpsw Tue 07-Jun-11 12:20:02

Actually, there's something to be said for doing a BBQ immediately!

It'll make you look friendly, and you get to meet everyone (if you're like me, you then get everyone's names mixed-up for weeks, but at least you get some idea of who's who). And you can use paper plates and other short cuts, and blame anything untoward on not being straight yet after the move! But if you have plenty of wine no-one will care anyhow, and it gets you off the hook for the whole of the rest of the summer.

AitchTwoOh Tue 07-Jun-11 12:25:01

<waves to the fat rabbit>

littlelapin Tue 07-Jun-11 12:28:26

vintageteacups Tue 07-Jun-11 12:51:44

I see what you mean but paper plates?!!!

It will be pretty vintage teacups, glass bowls of gooseberry fool and delicious fruit salads and pretty sandwiches on my nan's royal albert grin. Far less stressful in my eyes than a meat-laden BBQ with me worrying about whether we've cooked the chicken all the way through.

I hate lots of meat.

I was thinking more this

littlelapin Tue 07-Jun-11 12:58:49

Saltire Tue 07-Jun-11 13:05:25

I agree with lapin, I'd have let DH do teh BBQ then i could sit with the other ladies getting pissed having a glass or 2 of wine and chatting while he sweats furiously

wheresthepimms Tue 07-Jun-11 16:58:38

Vintage with you on the BBQ, you could end up offending all the veggies who want their food cooked on a meat free separate BBQ grin
Although moving in and giving the whole camp food poisoning from uncooked meat would be funnygrin and DH would have no one at work bothering him for the next few days
Pretty sure when we were there before pot luck was done by street with each street bringing a different bit.

wheresthepimms Tue 07-Jun-11 17:00:17

oh and do remember the pimms, the place you are going is famous for garden parties with pimms involved [pimms smiley]

mpsw Tue 07-Jun-11 17:03:18

Yes - paper plates, plastic diggers too if you like. But only in that golden window of "only moved in a week ago". After that and you do get stuck with the washing up.

At one really good BBQ, the Pimms came in a plastic dustbin (new, I hasten to add).

vintageteacups Tue 07-Jun-11 17:16:30

Good tip about doing the PLS by street pimms.

Yes - of course there'll be pimms - perhaps in paper cups if it's during the one week window' wink.

wheresthepimms Tue 07-Jun-11 19:29:27

We went to one garden party where it was a VE day theme and they served pimms in metal tea pots grin into china mugs and we all had spam on rice cakes

vintageteacups Tue 07-Jun-11 20:01:11

Urgh - Spam - [boak].

Like the pimms in teapots though smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now