Talk

Advanced search

married quarter curtains

(25 Posts)
moomin156 Thu 02-Jun-11 16:04:37

moving into our first quarter this month and as i imagined the curtains are pretty dire. Where do you get cheapish curtains from as i guess window sizes will differ and we move again in 12months time. Thanks

missinglalaland Thu 02-Jun-11 16:19:54

Make them yourself! It's much easier to do than most people think. Buy a sewing machine that does a straight stitch on ebay for about £100, you will make your money back many times over if you move every 12 months.

Seriously. To make simple, pencil pleat curtains all you have to do is sew a straight line. You can get the curtain pull tape at places like John Lewis by the meter. If this is something you would actually consider I would be glad to give you a more detailed explanation.

bran Thu 02-Jun-11 16:22:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

moomin156 Thu 02-Jun-11 16:24:45

i have considered it, have an old sewing machine in cupboard that MIL gave me for some strange reason. Would prefer to buy if possible as i have a tiny baby and getting showered at the minute is a challenge lol

moomin156 Thu 02-Jun-11 16:25:54

been to ikea.....got a pair for DDs nursery but werent too impressed for the cost i have to say. have looked on ebay already........

meditrina Thu 02-Jun-11 16:28:44

See if there's a branch of Curtain Exchange near you. They often have good things in stock - and you can flog off your old ones through them too.

moomin156 Thu 02-Jun-11 16:33:12

just looked meditrina and there isnt here or near the MQ sad

tiredgranny Thu 02-Jun-11 16:47:56

pondens get some for about tenner to thirty pound some r lined etc good value

moomin156 Thu 02-Jun-11 16:50:53

thanks granny there is one of those fairly close by, could go and have a look there

OfflineFor30Seconds Thu 02-Jun-11 16:56:30

Have you tried The Range and Dunhelm Mill? Fairly bargainous.

vintageteacups Thu 02-Jun-11 20:23:43

Ditto The Range and Dunelm.

Next Directory are really cheap too.

It's doubtful that you'll need to replace them all - ones on landings and halls are usually okay and you can often take them away completely if the room doesn't overlook anything. Also, we used cheap blinds - from Next and Dunelm - just ones that you don't have to cut the width for.

tiredgranny Thu 02-Jun-11 20:35:59

look in the reduced bin got all mine for under 20 my lounge curtains were a tenner end of line and everyone thinks there expensive were originally

Happylander Thu 02-Jun-11 20:46:20

I love the Range and have bought some good quality curtains and bed linen from there and it's cheap. My credit card does not like the Range wink

moomin156 Thu 02-Jun-11 21:07:09

the main problem is going to be the patio doors.......the doors are huge and the curtains there dont even fit. Will try all the above. My LO is in for shopping fun sad
Thanks for advice......kitchen and bathroom were ok and 1 bedroom.....i need to sort the living/dining room really

vintageteacups Thu 02-Jun-11 21:47:06

You can always have two pairs that tone in the dining room - I always think that looks nice.

Also, if it's length that's a problem and you can't find long enough ones that are cheap enough, you can always sew a bottom width on that tones with the original curtains. I've done that before in childrens' rooms.

madwomanintheattic Thu 02-Jun-11 21:55:12

grin
ours don't meet in the dining room either. i'm pretty sure i've never been in a quarter where the curtains for the patio doors have ever reached the floor...

don't spend too much, op. they will be completely different sizes in the next mq.

MrsSnaplegs Thu 02-Jun-11 22:09:10

We just do own curtains in lounge, dining room and bedroom. I Would wait and find curtains you like that fit with your decor. Take your time with your 1st house as you would if it was your "forever" home but buy long that way length will always fit - too long looks better than too short. Also instead of buying 2 really wide ones buy 4 narrower ones that way if you move to somewhere with 2 smaller lounge windows not 1 big one you still have a set but for the big window can hold the 4 if you need it to.

MrsSnaplegs Thu 02-Jun-11 22:12:33

The other problem is the bits that you put the curtain hooks through tend to be few and far between so don't go for something with a close gather on the tape -look for something that hangs ok with with not many hooks!

moomin156 Thu 02-Jun-11 22:50:13

thank you for all of the tips...........we already have furniture etc so just planning having plain neutral curtains in living / dining room. sounds like i should keep them all full length for future houses. Good tip about 4 curtains instead of 2.
can you not add curtain hooks mrssnaplegs????
This is my first MQ and i cant say im overly excited. Be glad to be living with DH but i love my little rented house in the country.....i have been spoilt.

MrsSnaplegs Thu 02-Jun-11 22:57:41

Most 1/4 I have had unless new build have this old fashioned track system that is hard to get replacement bits for - most come with 7-12 bits each side which does not help! It's like a ball sitting in a runner with the bit you thread your hook through hanging down!

vintageteacups Thu 02-Jun-11 23:09:45

ours have mostly been like the old style too mrssnaplegs. In fact, the last 1/4 we had, someone had blu-tak-ed and selotaped the very brittle rail together and then when we put the curtains up (they'd been down for painting), the whole lot came down. 2 months later, they fixed the track.

MrsMatelot Fri 03-Jun-11 07:50:32

We've got the old style track system too!
I replaced all the curtains in this house, they were all filthy & covered in paint!
I got most of them from Dunhelm, for the kitchen (we're not overlooked) & upstairs loo, I have just used valances found in the bargain bins, just dress the window to hide the track and cost a couple of quid each.
The people who work in the curtain dept in Dunhelm's are pretty experienced and helped me with the sizing for ready made curtains for odd sized windows, which save me a fortune!
I also used Ponden.....and got a couple of pairs in the sale in Debenhams.
Good Luck!

moomin156 Fri 03-Jun-11 08:43:42

Going to venture to dunelm today, was also surprised at the cost of some of the curtains in next online........
i expect the curtain rail will be the same then....its a 1960sish 1/4 i think. Surely by now the military must realise curtains are an issue.......this 1/4 has purple carpet upstairs. Who has a purple carpet LOL

MrsMatelot Fri 03-Jun-11 09:32:33

LOL My son loves his salmon pink carpet!

moomin156 Fri 03-Jun-11 20:18:25

been to dunelm........will definitely be able to find some stuff in there. Thanks for the tips.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now