Talk

Advanced search

Married Quarters Words of Wisdom

(15 Posts)
lktoday5 Thu 02-Jun-11 16:04:17

Hi all

I know you've all had loads of experience at the MQ game and I just wondered if you could share? About to move into first quarter and have no idea of the rules and regs - any advice / tips you all can share would be most appreciated ...

THANK YOU!

goinggetstough Thu 02-Jun-11 16:49:13

Best advice is to check everything is clean and in working order when you take over your quarter. If it isn't take a photo of it and make sure they note it down, don't let them rush you round.
For example check the windows open and shut..., oven is spotless and the garden is very tidy. Definitely take a photo of the garden....
You have a certain number of days to report faults after the march in.
Good luck. We are now on our last quarter 16th in 21 years before retirement!

TalcAndTurnips Thu 02-Jun-11 17:09:15

Haven't been in a quarter for a while, but remember some of the niggles very well!

- Keep all the keys you are given securely and clearly labelled - it's amazing how easy it is to forget what goes where.

- Report any defects the nano-second that you discover them; they will take forever and a day to rectify most non-emergencies.

- Have an MQ drawer; all the emergency contact numbers, every bit of MQ paperwork/booklets/receipts that you are given, torch and batteries etc. Make sure you know where your stopcocks are too.

- If you're going to put your own curtains up, remove the ghastly MQ ones asap, fold and wrap them them up in plastic bags and label where they came from. Saves lots of time in washing/rehanging when you march out.

Good luck - I hope you'll be very happy in your new home!

vintageteacups Thu 02-Jun-11 20:11:54

- Ask how old the carpets are when you go in and check them for damage/stains before they place furniture in (always tricky as lazy removal men want to dump and go asap).
- Ask how old curtains are - if they need changing, you'll be able to order the new ones (well, say what colours you want anyway).
- Ask when it's due to be painted.
- As well as checking oven is clean, check it works, along with heating.
- Check garden for poisonous bushes and if there are some, ask for them to be removed.
- Check lino and sealant in bathrooms/loo and ask for them to be replaced if necessary. Lino must be sealed and hygenic.

My top tip is buy your own loo seats and just store theirs in the garage and replace when you move. Do the same for the shower heads if they're a bit useless or if shower hose is manky (which it shouldn't be).
- If quarter isn't clean put it in writing that you will not be paying for a march out clean.

If you get 'Dangerous Dave' doing your march in......be really nice but assertive - he'll treat you like a woman who isn't important and he'll try to avoid eye contact and will try to only speak to your DH!

You'll be fine - if you accept the MQ you told me about, they are lovely and modern so shouldn't have as much wrong with them.

MrsMatelot Fri 03-Jun-11 07:56:49

Remove the shower curtain & put up your own.
Line the top of the kitchen cupboards with newspaper...you can just remove it when you move out rather than having to scrub the tops.
Photocopy the defect list and take pictures.
Having moved into this one from an oversea's with everything arriving out of storage an hour after march in, I would advise getting a march in at least a day before the furniture turns up....so that if it is as dirty as ours was, the housing officer can call back (Not)Ideal cleaners to redo it!

MrsSnaplegs Fri 03-Jun-11 10:10:38

If you can afford it get your own cooker and move it from 1/4 to 1/4 - when you arrive seal theirs up and put it in the garage - you then don't have to worry about getting it to march out standard when you leave. If you can't afford your own cooker, look in the betterware catalogue for the carbon remover paste and use that on hob and rings every 3 months or so - it's what our march out cleaner recommended. Place tin foil under the ring section if it is an electric cooker - most of them lift up so you can keep it covered and then replace the foil every couple of weeks - keeps the bit under the rings clean.

If there is really bad limescale on taps soak some cotton wool in white wine vinegar and wrap them up for 24 hours - comes of easily after that - same for toilet if badly marked with limescale soak with WW vinegar either pour into the bowl and make that loo out of bounds if you have 2 or if it is the side of the bowl get the sheets of cotton wool and soak in WW vinegar.

vintageteacups Fri 03-Jun-11 10:33:27

Thing is about getting your own cooker though mrssnaplegs is that you have to get it fitted/unfitted by a gas certified person every time.

Agree about having march in at elast a day before furniture arrives.
Also, cling film less obvious than newspaper on top of cupboards.

MrsSnaplegs Fri 03-Jun-11 12:05:57

Vintage only if it is gas grin although I agree I prefer gas all the 1/4 i have been in have been electric cookers

vintageteacups Fri 03-Jun-11 14:09:22

oh yeah - I meant gas. All of ours, except one have been gas.

lktoday5 Fri 03-Jun-11 17:07:25

wow - thanks all, looks like we'll be moving in 14 days after march in so lots of time - REALLy appreciate all your comments

wheresthepimms Sun 05-Jun-11 22:11:47

if you have one take a cam corder with you and video your march in, annoys them a bit but saves arguments on march out. grin

vintageteacups Sun 05-Jun-11 22:12:50

That's a cool idea pimms - did you see my fb message to you the other day?

wheresthepimms Sun 05-Jun-11 22:16:44

vintage not sure which one you are on about, sorry we missed you when in your part of the world the other day, been a bit hit and miss with comms as have been living out of a suitcase travelling the country before taking kids back to school, now lodging at parents so have comms again.

vintageteacups Sun 05-Jun-11 22:18:17

yes - the cambs one. Never mind. Glad you had a good half term.

whizzyrocket Tue 19-Jul-11 15:56:15

Never sign anything before seeing the place- even if they tell you the house will go to someone else if you don't accept the offer straight away. We recently had that experience. Apparently they can't give the house to someone else within a certain time frame so don't worry.

Never send your chap (however much you trust his judgement) to do any sort of viewing etc. alone. In my experience the usually sane man becomes very acquiescent with official types linked however vaguely to his job. You need to say when something isn't good enough.

Never move into a damp house. I've heard some horror stories about people who have moved into a house under the impression that DE would solve the problem, DE did nothing and then wouldn't find them other accommodation even when they became unwell. It took a year and a half and a few doctor's notes regarding the children to get them shifted.

Good luck! Don't trust DE, no matter how sweetly they smile!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now