Talk

Advanced search

Daffodil Girls

(17 Posts)
justhayley Wed 11-May-11 11:21:08

Hiya, I came accross a book the other day called 'Daffodil girls' by Kitty Dimbleby. Its the story of various families and women who's husband are in the Army. Iv been looking for books on amazon that would give me an insite into army wife life but none in particular caught my eye. Anyway me and my DP popped into our local book store on sunday and soon as I walked in I spotted this!

Im over half way through and am really enjoying it - Only started it two days ago and can't put it down!

If theres anyone on here who is in my situation and is about to join the army life then I would highly recommend getting yourself a copy of this book.
Its a true story and really gives you an insite into what life is like an an Army wife - both the positives and negatives.

To be honest I was more aware of the negatives and have been struggeling to find positives for my own life about becoming an Army Wife and this book really helped me to do this.

Also will be a good read for anyone else living the life - im sure there is loads in their you can relate to.

Has anyone else read it? and do you think it portrays realistic image of your lives?

It wont be too long before I finish this - so if anyone else can recommened any other books about the life of an army wife id really appreciate it.

Thanks happy reading

Hayley xxx

jcscot Wed 11-May-11 11:32:12

Try getting hold of a copy of "Gumboots and Pearls".

grin

vintageteacups Wed 11-May-11 12:02:10

Mrssnaplegs was going to compile a 'loo' book grin - kind of an updated version of GB & P but not sure if she's started yet and think she has already finished mat leave so it might be on the backburner for a while.

I read an article about Kitty Dimbleby in House Beautiful the other day - she was promoting the book (do proceeds go to H for H? - she actually works for them). I was going to try and get hold of a copy.

Not sure how detailed good it will be for those of us who have been used to married life for a while (it's only her first MQ and has only been married 3 yrs I think) but for those just entering into patch life, I think it'll be a good read.

I might order a copy in a mo.

wheresthepimms Wed 11-May-11 13:28:28

When we were in the states and my DH deployed we had a wives day where they gave us a load of freebies. One of the freebies was :
The Homefront Club: The Hardheaded Woman's Guide to Raising a Military Family," by Navy spouse Jacey Eckhart
Ok so it is aimed at navy spouses and American ones at that but some of it does cross over and bits were actually really funny. I didn't read it until DH got home as I straight away put it in an envelope and posted it to him so he could read it grin, I did at least get an email back saying so I hope your glad your married to a British soldier then smile

MrsSnaplegs Wed 11-May-11 18:07:25

Vintage - book got put on hold when my friend said there was something similar due out! She couldn't remember what it was called so will ask her again!

justhayley Fri 13-May-11 16:18:39

@vintageteacups yes all the money goes to Help the Hero's. I agree deff a good read for a newbie.

I finished the book this morning, ended up in tears but it really did give me a feel for the life that I may be joining in the next few months.
Think you can get it on amazon half price.

@jcscot thanks you will try get hold of a copy. Need a new book in the next few days.

vintageteacups Fri 13-May-11 19:17:52

I've ordered it and it's on the way; really looking forward to reading it now you've said it's really good justhayley.

justhayley Fri 13-May-11 20:25:13

yay - hope you enjoy it as much as I did xxx

MrsSnaplegs Sun 15-May-11 06:49:24

Vintage let me know how it compares to what we talked about!! If you think my idea still has scope in the market let me know!!

vintageteacups Sun 15-May-11 10:35:27

I think your idea will be on a more practical level than what I imagine Daffoldil Girls will be. I've just read your PM to me about the original idea and I think there's lot sof scope for a great book.

I need to read that other book that was supposed to be like a modern version of GBs and P- then I can see what that's like.

MrsSnaplegs Mon 16-May-11 11:55:25

I don't want to swamp the market grin

vintageteacups Mon 16-May-11 12:04:38

Well, it's arrived so will delve into it but I actually think it's more about the support wives give their partners whilst on tours (before tour/during and at reunion) rather than the 'plan' you told me about.

I reckon there's still a need; hence me asking so many questions on Forces sweeteharts - as there is no book that would currently tell me these things (GB and Ps certainly doesn't).

vintageteacups Tue 17-May-11 10:13:19

100% of the book's royalities go to Help For Heroes so a very worthwhile buy.

SexyDragonStarlet Tue 17-May-11 14:15:35

I've just finished reading this book. I'm not a newbie to Forces life, coming from an RAF family, but due to the nature of my family and friends jobs, I've lived pretty much in one place for all of this time. My new partner is in the Army and so moves around a lot, I wanted to read this as from the reviews and write ups it seemed like it would be an honest account of some of the pros and cons of being an army wife/girlfriend. I'm not sure that saying I enjoyed it is quite the right word, "enjoying" seems wrong when there are some really sad parts in the book and yes, i did sob quite hard at times. But the book did help me to understand a bit better the life I am potentially getting in to, especially the positive aspects of it. I can see how it might not be of much interest (although that might be the wrong word again) to long standing army wives, other than perhaps a reassurance when they feel alone that they are not, but for us new girls it is certainly very insightful. Also my home town of Wootton Bassett gets a nice mention too!

justhayley Fri 27-May-11 11:03:49

Iv just started reading my 2nd Army wife book 'Dont say goodbye' by Fiona Stanford, hope I get as much from it as Daffodil girls!

Has anyone read this one?

SexyDragonStarlet Mon 30-May-11 13:20:19

I have justhayley. I read that one last week. I actually thought it was better than Daffodil Girls. Certainly better written and more engaging for some reason. I learnt a lot from this book too and recommend it as well.

justhayley Wed 01-Jun-11 11:12:27

hiya i have a day off work today and plan to stay in my PJs and read it cover to cover lol let me no if you get another book similar,, i like to have books lined up waiting to be read before iv finished the one im on (yes im a total geek) lol

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: