Talk

Advanced search

facing eviction

(7 Posts)
refmum Tue 11-Jan-11 14:58:35

Hi,

I am separated from my husband,we are in the "cooling off" stage,i have registered with council for social housing and am looking for homes to rent,i am having difficulty finding landlords that will accept housing benefit,i am scared that we will end up on the streets

crystalglasses Tue 11-Jan-11 20:45:54

Why are you facing eviction? Do you have dependent children? If you live in the UK and have children it is highly unlikely you'll end up 'on the streets'

The council should have given you some advice about your housing rights. Did you let them know what is going on?

penguin73 Tue 11-Jan-11 22:07:53

I think you'll find once you have your eviction notice the council will then house you very quickly - although it's scary that piece of paper will be the catalyst for getting things going. Speak to SSAFA about what they can do to help you too, both practically and emotionally - do this tomorrow if you can or ASAP so you are not worrying for any longer than you have to. And don't be scared by the story that was in the press and is discussed on this thread elsewhere - normally this sort of situation happens because people haven't followed advice or have 'buried their heads in the sand' and not taken steps to address the situation.

LeonardNimoy Wed 12-Jan-11 08:13:17

Which branch of the forces is your H in? Speak to the relevant families federation. DE will issue eviction noticeetc, but raraely actually physically evict you if you are taking steps to find an alternative. As someone else said, they have to do this so you can get the paperwork to help you get help frm the council with housing.

refmum Wed 12-Jan-11 12:12:13

Thankyou,yes,i have 4 sons. I have applied for council housing and am looking for homes to rent,landlords not accepting housing benefit which is my biggest hurdle.I am most scared of having to live in a homeless hostel or a bed and breakfast sadHave been to see the Navy welfare lady,she was helpful but couldn't totally reassure me that i wouldn't end up in a refuge or similar.

Deafworm Wed 12-Jan-11 12:26:40

have you looked into ssafa stepping stones homes

refmum Wed 12-Jan-11 13:05:50

Thanks,yes have looked at the stepping stone homes,wish they weren't so far away,i'm near Land's End but will go there if no other options.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now