Talk

Advanced search

Do You Know about the Pupil Premium? Forces Children.

(20 Posts)
pinkem Sat 08-Jan-11 12:21:59

From Sep 11 schools will receive an additional sum of £200 for every Service child on their roll. This payment is in recognition of the unique challenges and stresses facing service children and is provided to help support your child.

The trigger for this payment to schools however, will be taken from the roll from the
Annual School Census of
January 2011
So please, as a serving parent, ensure that that your child(ren) school(s) are aware of their Service connection so that the 'Service child marker' on the census form is ticked in time.

Please spread the word...

Just seen this on Families Federation website and 'i'm spreading the word' smile

onimolap Sat 08-Jan-11 12:32:53

What is the Annual School Census?

Is it state schools only? Who fills it in, parent or school staff?

StealthPolarBear Sat 08-Jan-11 12:33:58

State schools only
sub,ission to the DfE of all children on school roll

onimolap Sat 08-Jan-11 12:36:59

Filled in by the school? When? [ie: how can we ensure the Forces connexion is properly acknowledged?]

Also, what about children who move part way during the school year, especially those who may be moving between independent and state sectors?

StealthPolarBear Sat 08-Jan-11 12:41:19

I assume so...
It's a termly census so children who move are picked up each term.

pinkem Sat 08-Jan-11 13:18:16

www.raf-ff.org.uk/newsarchive.asp
The link if you would like to know more.

onimolap Sat 08-Jan-11 13:21:43

Thanks!

The link says annual census, in January. Not helpful if you're posted to move in February....

penguin73 Sat 08-Jan-11 20:29:01

Schools fill it in, you just need to make sure that the Head is aware that your child has a service parent. Even if you think they know it's worth a gentle reminder - my child's hadn't really made the link as he is the only one in his school.

vintageteacups Sun 09-Jan-11 23:36:01

Thanks for this Pinkem.
Have sent it to DCs next school in case they don't already know and also have copied it to all my forces friends.
I think it's a great incentive for schools to be more welcoming to service children.

herdingcats Wed 12-Jan-11 13:25:18

we had this discussion at our DD's school yesterday ,and the thing to note is they cannot ask you if you are in the forces . you must tell them, as it is an optional question on the form. I find this ridiculous as lots of parents will not disclose forcea connection and therefore the school could loose out on potoential funding.
Interestingly though if a child is in local care they can apply without permission !!

herdingcats Wed 12-Jan-11 13:26:53

Sorry about all my typos blush I'm using a different PC and forgot the keys are not as responsive

LatteLady Wed 12-Jan-11 16:50:05

It is officially known as PLASC - Pupil Level annual School census and is conducted every January - this year it is 20 January.

The count determines the funding that you school will get for the next year so takes into account, age, SEN, FSM etc It is calculated by using the number of pupils on roll at each school on that day.

MrsSnaplegs Thu 13-Jan-11 10:43:46

DD sent a form home this week for us to notify them if we are service parents, we are in a very military aware area though so large proportion of school have some connection to military. I will be asking what they will plan to do with the money.

Loopymumsy Thu 13-Jan-11 12:23:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

fedupwithdeployment Thu 13-Jan-11 12:28:03

Dh was reminded of this at work (Northwood). We've forwarded it on to the school - although not too many forces' kids there, every little helps!

notyummy Fri 14-Jan-11 09:39:26

I rang our school and told them DD was a forces child, which then prompted them to email all parents to ask them to register with the school if their child was a forces child.

Deafworm Fri 14-Jan-11 09:43:09

loopy i would, by the opposite token my dd2 is in nursery now so wont be registered but will be starting school in september.

vintageteacups Fri 14-Jan-11 09:58:17

same here- as we move in the summer, dcs won't be registered at their new school until next jan for payment the following september. Perhaps it's done that way to save money???

Otheriwse, surely any school could get the money as soon as they get another service child on their books.

vintageteacups Fri 14-Jan-11 09:59:21

I think they will have to spend it and audit is as money spent on service children; something which supports social and emotional wellbeing perhaps?

penguin73 Fri 14-Jan-11 13:32:45

The school registers the pupils that are there on census day so if the pupil is there they will get the money, even if they leave during the academic year; if not they don't even if they start later in the year.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: