Advanced search

Tracing someone who served but only having full name.

(14 Posts)
KellyBronze Tue 04-Jan-11 19:03:41

Channeling the power of MN here.

I'd like to help a friend find her dad. She was born abroad nearly 30 yrs ago and only knows her dad full name and well, at least one of his posting dates.

Based on that, is there some way someone in the MOD could help her find her dad?

vintageteacups Tue 04-Jan-11 19:30:40

Yes - there is an army reunited thing.

will look for link smile

vintageteacups Tue 04-Jan-11 19:31:56


if not - if she knows what regiment he was in, she could contact the personnel dept and ask them to follow it up.

Scootergrrrl Tue 04-Jan-11 19:32:36

There is also an internal email database thingy which he might crop up on if he's still in. You can pm me his details if you want me to get DH to have a look for you.

KellyBronze Tue 04-Jan-11 20:28:27

Thanks vintage. A quick search of forces reunited didn't find him.

Scootergrrl, I really doubt he'd be in active service now. Would your dh not be able to find records of those who left? (hopeful)

penguin73 Tue 04-Jan-11 20:33:41 eRecordsEnquiries.htm

They are not able to pass on any details unless he is deceased. However they will pass on a letter/contact details from her to him at his current unit if he is still serving, or send them to his discharge address if not.

penguin73 Tue 04-Jan-11 20:34:57

oops sorry, no gap between the c and e. Try this! eRecordsEnquiries.htm

Scootergrrrl Wed 05-Jan-11 09:21:51

DH will do a search today but like you say, it's unlikely he's still in. Does your friend which regiment or anything he was in, or even anything about his trade? The only other suggestion would be to put a ad in the back of Soldier magazine asking for him or anyone who knew him to get in touch with her.

foxytocin Wed 05-Jan-11 09:29:55

Afaik, she doesn't but I can ask her later.
would your dh know anyone who works in the personnel archives. grin knowing where he moved to once discharged and year of discharge could be v good information.

foxytocin Wed 05-Jan-11 09:31:29

should have warned, kellybronze was my christmas name.

Scootergrrrl Wed 05-Jan-11 09:54:30

I'll ask him but I don't think he does. I think it might well be worth investigating the Soldier magazine route as that goes to thousands and thousands of current and ex service personnel.

penguin73 Thu 06-Jan-11 22:39:17

The link I posted is connected to personnel records.....

foxytocin Fri 07-Jan-11 04:35:14

Thanks for that info penguin. Will follow it up this weekend.

onimolap Sun 09-Jan-11 01:10:11

The official powers that be are (rightly) concerned about passing on personal info.

If she can find out what regiment/corps, then the relevant regt association may be able to help.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: