Talk

Advanced search

Corrie: gives us a military storyline, but....

(6 Posts)
onimolap Thu 18-Nov-10 22:00:39

... do you think they're doing it well.

It started only one year ago, when gobby Gary sounded off the T'Rovers about how pointless Remembrance Day was. Then, impressed by Gail's Dad, Peter Barlow and Steve's father, he decides he wants to join up.

And despite custodial sentence (shouldn't you get a nice lengthy deferment for that?), he's in, and on Phase1 in about 6 weeks.

I thought they did the AWOL incident well, though - or has anyone esle spotted problems with that?

Quinny was a very "flat" character (IYSWIM), and both his brother's injury and now Q's own death seem rather contrived.

Now the (all too predictable) injury story is coming out: the "military" hospital looked full of cliches; abd it looks as if Gary is likely to make a good physical recovery (just as well, they'd never get permission to go on location at Headley). But the circs of the incident look as if they're lining him up for survivors guilt.

What does anyone else make of all this?

[If indeed any of you care!]

herbietea Thu 18-Nov-10 22:05:31

Message withdrawn

madwomanintheattic Thu 18-Nov-10 22:10:47

rauxaf can finish their prof training, do 6mos in uk and then get deployed straight away, sometimes. we occasionally have to fast track them because the regulars can't fill the op tour gaps. it's an issue...

haven't seen any of the corrie though (not a corrie fan and o'seas lol) but yes, you can end up deployed very fast out of training.

herbietea Thu 18-Nov-10 22:17:33

Message withdrawn

onimolap Thu 18-Nov-10 22:29:37

Windass is an infanteer.

DH says the timeline is short, but not impossible. His gripe was in letting someone with a previous custodial sentence join up without a major period of deferment (especially in today's recruitment climate).

Corrie is (I think) the most-watched programme on British telly - they've put Gary's injury just before the 50th anniversary tram crash, and in the middle of the farewell to Jack. I am wondering where it'll go next.

madwomanintheattic Thu 18-Nov-10 23:11:15

sometimes we used to get special dispensation to deploy them before their stat 6 mos in the uk out of trg was up - but it was vetted v carefully to make sure they were trained and ready enough. apols if sounded picky grin used to get v fed up of people patronising my boys and girls lol.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now