Talk

Advanced search

Question about tax free dependant jobs overseas

(7 Posts)
YummyorSlummy Tue 16-Nov-10 10:08:07

We are currently in Germany and I am applying for a job within the unit (raf) and all of these civilian jobs are tax free. We currently recieve £115 per month in tax credits and we have been told by people on the unit that this will not change as the job is tax free (not paying tax on it so shouldn't affect credits) but when I spoke to an advisor online she was about as clear as mud. She told me that I would still have to declare this income and my claim would be 're-calculated' based on this but wouldn't say whether or not it would go down.Not sure what to believe now as I really don't want to take this job where I would be getting barely any extra anyway after childcare to find that I'm earning practically nothing once the tax credits have gone. Has anyone been in a similar situation to this or know what might happen?

YummyorSlummy Tue 16-Nov-10 11:17:14

Bump!

scaryteacher Tue 16-Nov-10 12:51:10

If you are paid locally in euros then why would you tell the tax credit people? I don't tell HMRC about the cash in hand I get for invigilating school exams in Belgium.

YummyorSlummy Tue 16-Nov-10 13:26:05

The pay is in Euros but I'll still be paying national insurance, just not any other tax, so I have to declare it-wish I didn't though!

scaryteacher Wed 17-Nov-10 10:24:35

Will the NI be for UK or for Germany though?

YummyorSlummy Wed 17-Nov-10 13:46:07

Its uk. I've been assured though by the man who deals with civvy jobs on the unit that because my income from the job would be non taxable my tax credits won't get reduced.Hope he's right!

loubielou31 Fri 19-Nov-10 20:15:35

I would imagine that the man in the unit would have more clue than the Tax credits advisor because most civvies really don't understand military life or their varying circumstances. That being said I would do more checking too.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: