Talk

Advanced search

Annoyed about posting order

(19 Posts)
vintageteacups Wed 10-Nov-10 20:44:26

Hello,

We know where out next posting will be and I have to apply for schools for DCs.

I don't want to leave it unilt the last minute as we have to compose a cover letter for each app too and send the posting order (or the new name for it that I've forgotten).

DH had an interview with the guy who deals with his PO last Monday and he said that once he got back to the office this Monday just gone, he'd sort it.

Well, it's Thursday tomorrow and still no sign.
DH really annoyed me as he said he had sent the guy two emails today about getting him onto a course and asked if there was "any news on the PO?" = no reply.

I was a bit mean hissy and told him to be moer assertive and say that we really need it by the end of next week at the very latest. DH doesn't reckon we'll have it by then. He was like "let me do my job".

I'm like "the kids' school apps have to be in mid December"!!! Usually he tells me to think more about oue own family rather than volunterring support for others so readily, yet today, he was like "there's lots of others in the same position you know".

Anyone know how to speed it up without annoying DH more and also, which bit of the CEAS info do I need to get them to email me in support of the forces moving schools often thing?

Sorry for long post - thanks.

MrsSnaplegs Wed 10-Nov-10 21:05:14

We have moved recently and only had 1 weeks proper notice to move (don't ask whole other thread) - I applied 2 weeeks before saying we know we are moving but not sure of our address, didn't even send a copy of my assignment order with it and we had a reply in 2 days offering us a place. Phone the LEA for the area to provisionally notify them of your move and ask about places in local area and explain situation.

vintageteacups Wed 10-Nov-10 21:13:41

Thanks mrssnaplegs - I called the LEA and the woman/teenage sounding girl was useless.
She seemed really oblivious about the forces, even though the county has a high number of forces based there.

It's the middle school for DD I'more worried about but usually they're not oversubscribed.
Ijust think Glasgow should get their bums into gear.
Sending you a private message about something if that's okay?

onimolap Wed 10-Nov-10 22:17:45

Try posting onthe "Other Half" forum on ArRSe, there's a member there who is very good with chapter and verse on this.

There is an arcane bit of provision in schools entrance which means that the admissions system has to treat you as a resident even if you do not have your final address. You do however need a posting order / letter from CO / equivalent to attest to your circumstances. You also need CEAS to hold you hand, as LAs often overlook this provision - if they do, you have grounds for appeal, and CEAS helps with that too.

onimolap Wed 10-Nov-10 22:18:49

Rear Party sometimes has helpful posters too.

LeonardNimoy Thu 11-Nov-10 08:15:31

schools admission CoP Chapter 3 3.27 Click on the Code of Practice picture at the top on the righthand side here, and go to Chapter 3.27. It has the blurb about applying for a place with an official letter if you have no assignment order or quarter address. It is very handy to quote when applying. Your DH will still have to pull his finger out and produce the order or a COs letter, though!

vintageteacups Thu 11-Nov-10 13:21:26

He's on a year long course at the moment so no CO. Thanks for all the info though.

Also, he said when the guy forwards the PO to him, he'll have to find a special computer or something so he can access it and print it out. I said "why don't they post it here to me at home". He said "let me deal with it!"

Will try CEAS and those sites and see how I ger on.

LeonardNimoy Fri 12-Nov-10 15:00:00

He must mean a JPA terminal?! You really need to nag him about it

LtEveDallas Fri 12-Nov-10 15:16:41

Vintage, where he is now must have an Admin Office. The RAO or RAWO will also get a copy of your DH Assignment Order, and could chase it for you if your DH is 'too busy'

They won't post it to you though, has to be sent on JPA

Failing that, try emailing the schools direct and explain the situation. I got an AO in May for DD to start school in Sep and the school/LEA were happy dealing with me.

vintageteacups Sat 13-Nov-10 11:05:09

All school admissions nationwide now ltEveDallas, are done through the LEA.

Spoke to CEAS yesterday and have downloaded that chapter 3.27, which looks useful.

CEAS sais that I really shouldn't worry about a covering letter and that's more important if you're appealing.

It's just DH that's annoying me being so chilled about it all. What they need to understand is that us wives get stressed too - especially when it comes to getting school places for DCs.

Funny how they always manage to spend a good 2 hours cleaning their mess boots/ironing their own uniform etc yet when it comes to getting something done for me, it's a different story.

Will hope the bloke sends his assignment order next week.

FanjolinaJolie Mon 15-Nov-10 21:10:52

Can anyone advise if this is right?

I've been told I have to apply to the LEA where we're living now (Kent) even though we will be posted July 2011 and we will be living in Oxfordshire. So I'm to apply to Kent LEA for an Oxford school reception place.

Both LEA's have said this is the right procedure but it seems mad to me.

Anyone in this same situation?

MrsSnaplegs Tue 16-Nov-10 13:32:42

yes we had to apply in our previous place of residence and here - it was a good job we did as it took 6 months for them to find us a 1/4 so DD ended up using the place for the first half term of this school year before we moved house

FanjolinaJolie Tue 16-Nov-10 19:10:56

MrsSnaplegs do you mean you applied for two school places in different counties? How did you do that? Did you have an address to use for the onward post?

What I was meaning was that I was advised to apply for the one school place (in Oxford) but via the current LEA (in Kent)

MrsSnaplegs Tue 16-Nov-10 19:38:29

Fangolina No we applied in the November as per our local area rules and then once assignment was confirmed we had to reapply to the area we were moving to. We were offered place in new area within 2 days of applying. Maybe we were just lucky - not sure about applying through one LEA for another, when we applied for first place we knew pretty much where we would be going but it wasn't confirmed.

FanjolinaJolie Tue 16-Nov-10 22:16:15

Ok, between applying for the two places did the application deadline close? Did you apply as a late applicant for the second place? Asking as you say you heard within two days was that as a late applicant?

vintageteacups Tue 16-Nov-10 23:04:01

Fanjolina I have never needed to do that before.

You just apply to the county you're moving to, even though it's in 2011. If your child will be joining reception in oxfordshire in 2011, then you would apply to oxfordshire LEA, giving them the address/regiment/academy etc that you're moving to.

If the LEA require an assignment order, then you ask your DH to get one. If there's little hope of getting before the app is due in, then copy that chapter (see above) and send that and a covering letter from the CO/Adj etc saying that your DH is defo going to that place.

Keep a diary of all discussions with both LEA's (get names of people you speak to with dates and times) in case you need to appeal.

Send your app by recorded delivery.

I really don't understand why they're telling you to apply in the LEA you#re moving from???

When I lived in previous county I simply applied with this county for DS' reception place. He got it - simple. Didn't have to even speak to old LEA about it.

If you know where you are going for sure, then they aren't allowed to make you wait and class you as a late app. (see chapter 3.27)

FanjolinaJolie Wed 17-Nov-10 19:41:20

Vintage what address did you use for the application? We won't have a confirmed address in time for the application to go in. Did you use the unit address or 'borrow' an address from someone you knew?

vintageteacups Wed 17-Nov-10 20:06:03

No - the house we're moving into is tied to DH's job but have you read chapter 3.7?

It says you can put the unit name or another house address at the unit if you don't have an address yourself.

MrsSnaplegs Sat 20-Nov-10 06:51:09

fanjolina sorry for delay in replying - yes application date have def passed before we applied for second place - by months grin There is definate agreement with LEA that they dont need address just assignment order or letter from CO or career manager.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now