Talk

Advanced search

Two doughnut recipes.

(6 Posts)
spidermama Mon 15-Aug-05 17:06:46

Here are two doughnut recipes. The first is a quick one, the second a traditional one. They're already on another thread but thought I'd share them as widely as possible because they're bleddy levly.

Doughnuts (quick)
1. Sift together 8oz plain flour, 1/2 level tspn of bicarb of soda, 1 level tsp of cream of tartar and pinch of ground cinnamon.
2. Rub in 1oz butter.
3. Stir in 2oz sugar
4. mix to a soft dough with one beaten egg and a little milk.
5. Drop small balls (cherry tomato size) into hot fat until goldn brown, turning frequently.
6. Drain on crumpled kitchen paper.
7. Roll in sugar.
8. Eat 'em up.

Doughnuts (trad)

1 level tsp sugar
4 tablespoons milk
1/4 oz dried yeast
8oz plain flour
1/2 level tsp salt
2oz butter or marg
1 egg, beaten
Jam
Deep-ish fat for frying
Sugar and ground cinnamon to coat.

Dissolve 1tspn sugar in milk and activate the yeast in the usual way. Mix flour and salt and rub in the fat. Add the yeast and egg and mix to a soft dough, adding a little more milk if necessary. Beat well until smooth then leave to rise until doubled in size. Knead lightly on a floured board and divide into 10-12 pieces. Shape each into a round , put 1tsp jam in the centre and draw up the edges to form a ball. Seal well.
Put on greased baking tray and leave to prove for 15 mins.
Heat fat then fry doughnuts fairly quickly until golden brown (5-10mins). Drain on crumpled kitchen paper then toss in sugar and cinnamon.

spidermama Mon 15-Aug-05 17:16:27

Just me then? I'm going to make the trad ones now.
You'll all be jealous in a couple of hours when I'm sitting here mumsnetting and wolfing down home made doughnuts.

spidermama Mon 15-Aug-05 19:03:25

I'm doing the yeast ones. I made the dough over and hour ago and it doesn't seem to be rising. Grrrr!
I wish I'd just made the quick ones now.
Serves me right for trying to be clever.
Too late for pudding now so, if they ever rise, I'll cook them for breakfast tomorrow.

sweetmonkey Tue 16-Aug-05 09:00:25

how did the doughnuts turn out?
shall i just try and make the quick ones?

spidermama Tue 16-Aug-05 19:56:30

Definitely just make the quick ones. They're ten times quicker and they actually taste much nicer. We had my slightly bitter yeasty ones this morning and I preferred the quick ones.

Don't have the fat too hot by the way. They need to cook right through. It says in the book hot enough for a inch cube of bread to go golden brown in 60-70 seconds. If you want to get scientific, and I think I better had.

sweetmonkey Wed 17-Aug-05 10:04:12

OOO i ll remember the bread thing, thanks. going to try and make them tonight

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now