Talk

Advanced search

Butternut Squash

(15 Posts)
Aimsmum Mon 15-Aug-05 12:33:09

Message withdrawn

edodgy Mon 15-Aug-05 12:34:45

we roasted it for the first time the other day just chopped into big pieces and coated with olive oil was lovely.

LIZS Mon 15-Aug-05 12:35:03

They are more like marrow or courgettes but sweeter. You can roast them or steam them.

NotQuiteCockney Mon 15-Aug-05 12:37:27

Roasting works. They also make nice soups.

You can also treat them as pumpkin: I generally roast mine without any spices, then run them through a sieve for a smooth puree, then make pumpkin pie/bread/cheesecake with them.

bran Mon 15-Aug-05 12:39:45

It's fab cut into large chunks and cooked in curry.

Aimsmum Mon 15-Aug-05 12:42:02

Message withdrawn

colditz Mon 15-Aug-05 12:43:18

Lovely mashed with salt, pepper and butter. Roasting in meat juices is nice.

Littlefish Mon 15-Aug-05 12:45:49

Colditz is absolutely right. We roast our chicken on a wire tray above a roasting dish. We put the butternut squash in the roasting dish and let it cook in all the yummy and bad-for-you chicken juices!

flowerfairy Tue 16-Aug-05 20:37:01

We love butternut squah at our house too.

I make butternut squash and red pepper soup, risotto and also mash it with baked beans and cheese for a quick lunch sometimes. Delicious.

spidermama Tue 16-Aug-05 20:38:40

Nice in soup. Even nicer roasted. Excellent with goats cheese or blue cheese or any cheese really.

frannyf Tue 16-Aug-05 20:46:34

They go really well with red lentils. I often roast them in their skins - just cut in quarters, scoop out the seeds, dot on a bit of butter and wrap in foil. Then you can scoop out the flesh as you are eating it, served with a red lentil sauce. MMMM!

suedonim Tue 16-Aug-05 20:53:31

Sorry to hijack but anyone have any tips on how to cut butternut squash up? I find the skins so hard I just can't chop through 'em!

anchovies Tue 16-Aug-05 20:54:44

Lots of hacking with a very big knife!

Milge Tue 16-Aug-05 20:55:27

Goes exceptionally well with sage - chicken, sage and butternut squash risotto is a favourite in our house. Re cutting - try peeling first to get rid of hard layer, or simply roast in the skin and scoop out.

flowerfairy Tue 16-Aug-05 20:58:51

Knife is easier but sometimes can manage with the potato peeler or as suggested before roast in skin and peel off or scrape out flesh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now