Talk

Advanced search

HELP NEEDED FOR VERY UNDERWEIGHT WEE GIRL

(15 Posts)
starshaker Thu 11-Aug-05 20:23:48

the wee girl i look after has lost 10% of her body weight. the hospital says we have to feed her food that will put weight on her (the family is very healthy no salt sugar or fried food) and i have no idea what to feed her to make her put on weight

starshaker Thu 11-Aug-05 20:31:30

any1

NannyL Thu 11-Aug-05 20:36:23

make sure you dont give diet or low fat ANYTHING...

everything as full fat as it comes...

My cousin was VERY underweight for no apparent reason several years back, when he was young... about 2 - 8 years...

the hospital was adament she should be allowed a normal (not fun or king) size choc bar every day, as chocolate apperntly is quite nutritouse, and high in calories....

you could also do things such as pasta with full fat cheese sauce with lots of full fat hard cheese in....

puddings like rice puddings and home made cheese cake will probably help as well

misdee Thu 11-Aug-05 20:37:36

lots of creams/butters/cheeses.

starshaker Thu 11-Aug-05 20:38:01

thanx shes a year and a half and weighs 15lb 9oz

aloha Thu 11-Aug-05 20:38:31

peanut butter sandwiches, plenty of butter, honey, chips, mayonnaise, hummus, taramasalata with pitta bread as a dip, pasta with cheese sauce or carbonara sauce, lasagne, garlic bread... full fat milk, full fat everything! Healthy food suitable for adults can be simply too healthy for small children. How old is this girl?

Aragon Thu 11-Aug-05 20:39:02

Avacado pear - very calorific and full of "good" fats.
Full cream milk on food (if she's over 1 year) and in making food.
Cheese sauces on veggies
Mashed potato with cheese and a bit of butter.

Aragon Thu 11-Aug-05 20:40:14

Chips are another goodie - they don't have to be processed but can be potato wedges put into the oven and drizzled with olive oil and paprika for flavour.

aloha Thu 11-Aug-05 20:42:38

peanut butter sandwiches, plenty of butter, honey, chips, mayonnaise, hummus, taramasalata with pitta bread as a dip, pasta with cheese sauce or carbonara sauce, lasagne, garlic bread... full fat milk, full fat everything! Healthy food suitable for adults can be simply too healthy for small children. How old is this girl?

starshaker Thu 11-Aug-05 20:42:45

this is great keep them coming

starshaker Thu 11-Aug-05 20:43:17

a year and a half

Twiglett Thu 11-Aug-05 20:43:43

chocolate (honestly)

sobernow Thu 11-Aug-05 20:44:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

aloha Thu 11-Aug-05 20:46:24

sorry - double posted!

Chocolate muffins, cake, cream...yum!
Fruit crumble with cream, plenty of snacks. Crackers with cream cheese, sticks of cheese, honey sandwiches with lots of butter, syrup on Ready-Brek type cereal with full cream milk and added cream. Full fat yoghurt. Bananas with cream and chocolate sauce. Ice cream. Digestive biscuits or shortbread.

bagpussmice Thu 11-Aug-05 20:47:31

when dd1 was younger I had to "fatten her up" so to speak, and the health visitor advised adding full fat cream to her puddings - so I added cream to her yoghurts, when making cheese sauce for pasta, custard, rice pudding etc.. etc...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: