I want to thank you all for ....................
helping me over the past few months will all my ds1 & dd2 behaviour problems & food problems, etc. Also helping me with my various problems with myself. Many of you know i have crohns disease and have been fighting with doctors, hv, mw, consultants, pead, dieticieans.
Yestuday i saw the top of top pead consultant. He was lovely. He confirmed what i had been saying to all the medical professions that i visited (there were many) that both my children and i are allergic to dairy. We had cut out 90% of dairy but the other 10% was still affecting us. I am so releived that finally someone listerned to me etc. Apart from mr dp we are all going to be eating the same food from now on, a dairy free one. I feel very low though today as i keep blaming myself for giving my children the problem. The consultant did say that it was connected to the family history, and that can only mean me as i am the only ill one.
My last request to you all is, i now need recipes for cakes biscuits, and normal food that are dairy free. i also need to know some dairy free ranges of food, where can you buy them. Are there any online. How do you make dairy free ice cream? Can i buy chocolate? Is there any thing i should avoid when looking at labels. Went to asda last night. Couldn't believe how so much stuff had milk or cheeses in it. Anyone know an alternative to yoghurts apart from alpro. My list is endless.
I will post a copy of this on the food and allergy section too.
There is some divine dairy free ice cream but now the name escapes me (dd was dairy allergic for the first 2 years) - I think it is called Glace? You can get it in supermarkets
sainsburys do have a "free from" range which has quite a lot of dairy free things in it (biscuits and cakes etc)
chocolate is fine but it would be dark chocolate (not milk, obviously!)
if you're VERY allergic then i guess you should look out for things containing lactose too
Imagine do a line of great foods, Rice Milk, puddings, etc. We also have Tofutti here in the states: Imaginefoods
and ours here in the states: Products
I use the Rice Milk for all my cooking and baking and it is also very tasty with cereal. Rice, soy and almond are going to be your best bets for subsitution. Good luck!
Swedish Glace Ice Cream is the one you are thinking of I think! Sold in most Supermarkets, it has won food awards and the Vanilla one is nicer than 'normal' Ice-Cream imo! I give it to other children and they don't even notice its Soy!
Provamel do childrens Soy Yoghurts (no bits)
Made a note of your your products and will go to Tesco and Sainsury tonight. The Rice dream looks really good. But at the bottom it says not suitable for under 5 years. i think that Rice Dream only sell rice biscuits with chocolate on here.
I am a bit confussed with what to look out for chocolate.
Is cocoa butter or powder ok. If the packet says 20% chocolate is this ok too.
Anyone got a bread maker, i may as well make my own bread too as it looks as though i will be glued to the kitchen sink. Need to take my telly in there so i can see east enders....
You can definitely buy chocolate!
There is a company called Plamil who make vegan chocolates. Go to your local health food store or Holland and Barrett. I have a taste for very sexy dark chocolate, and Lindt do a wonderful 70% cocoa bar (and a headache-inducing 85% one, great for grating onto coffee) which is great in cake recipes. They are both dairy free. Green and Black's also have a great range of dark, dairy free chocs.
Alpro and Provamel seem to be the only manufacturers of soy-based yoghurts, and I find the range a bit boring. Alpro's summer fruits one is divine, though, and my little one guzzles it.
Swedish Glace are amazing for ice-cream - the Vanilla one tastes as though you are eating clouds, or creamy velvet! It is my lover! And dont forget sorbets.
As far as rice milk is concerned, it will tell you that it is not suitable for under 5's, but what that really means is that it is not suitable as a MAIN MILK SOURCE for under 5's, so thay can still drink it as long as they are still drinking enough calcium-fortified soya milk or formula, cows milk or goats milk. Boil rice milk in a pan to make your coffee. I do every morning, and it is lovely, especially with a teaspoon of malt extract.
I hope this helps. If you ever have a specific problem e-mail me at email@example.com, as I have a lot of knowledge in this area and do not come on mumsnet v.often.
tried to email you caribou. My mail was returned.
I got your message, not sure what happened. Damn technology. Have sent you a detailed e-mail back. Hope it helps!
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now »
Already registered? Log in with:
Please login first.