Talk

Advanced search

went to the supermarket yesterday...

(24 Posts)
fredly Tue 09-Aug-05 17:32:12

... and eventually asked an employee to remove at least half a dozen packets of peaches that had gone off, an exotic fauna was growing on them and the flies were loving it. Disgusting .
And today I went to my local grocery shop to get courgettes. Courgettes are in season so they should be well stocked up. But quite the opposite, she told me 'oh we don't usually sell courgettes when they're in season because most people grow them in their garden !!'. When do you sell them then ? In December ?! And what about people who don't have a garden or, and it's the majority, have one but don't grow veggies ?
Where do I have to go to get fresh produce that's in a good shape, tasty and affordable ?!

IlanaK Tue 09-Aug-05 17:43:49

Farmers markets! Farmers markets! Farmers markets! Oh, and did I mention - Farmers markets!

QueenOfQuotes Tue 09-Aug-05 17:44:59

And if you don't have a farmers market close by? Or one that's only there approx once a month (if you're lucky)?

KBear Tue 09-Aug-05 17:46:00

And where would a person find a farmer's market? Is there a list? I'm in London and figure I would hard pushed to find one. There must be a directory though right?

Charlee Tue 09-Aug-05 17:47:42

We have several farm shops around most places i have been to do.

IlanaK Tue 09-Aug-05 17:48:05

London farmers markets can be found at www.lfm.org.uk

I am sure there must be a website for nationwide ones.

IlanaK Tue 09-Aug-05 17:48:55

Kbear, I am in central london and go to one every weekend within walking distance from my house and there are a few more dotted around within easy bus ride during the week. You would be suprised by how many there are in London.

QueenOfQuotes Tue 09-Aug-05 17:50:34

Also from my experience Farmers markets don't "quite" fit into

"good shape, tasty and affordable"

as they tend to be quite pricey.

KBear Tue 09-Aug-05 17:50:55

thanks Ilanak - I am sick of rubbish supermarket fruit and veg that I end up throwing away so I'm off to check out the website.

KBear Tue 09-Aug-05 17:53:35

There is one in Blackheath which is about a 20 minute drive from me - perfect. I can't wait to go and buy some decent food and veg that isn't wrapped in plastic.

IlanaK Tue 09-Aug-05 17:54:59

I disagree QUeenofquotes. Tasty they definately are. And as for affordable, if you buy direct from the farmer - which you are doing at farmers markets - you are only buying seasonal and local. Therefore you are not paying for a company to air friehgt it from abroad and then store it and pack it etc. For the quality you get, I would say it is affordable.

KBear Tue 09-Aug-05 17:55:38

But QoQ I would rather pay for quality than pay to chuck it out cos it's gone off. I think that because supermarkets chill their veg, as soon as it comes back to room temp it goes off. I bought carrots and within two days they were limp and lifeless. Carrots should winter well not go off in two days. Potatoes go to seed in a week, even kept in a dark cool place.

QueenOfQuotes Tue 09-Aug-05 17:55:47

I agree it's very good quality - but if you're on a very low budget then it ISN'T affordable.

Nemo1977 Tue 09-Aug-05 18:01:45

have to agree with QoQ that unfortunately if you are on a stict budget farm shops are not afordable...if its that or shopping at your local lidl/aldi for your veg then i have to stick with aldi as couldnt afford elsewhere

KBear Tue 09-Aug-05 18:07:37

what is the quality of veg at Lidl like? There is one near me but I've never bought food there (only a footpump bizarrely enough!).

Blu Tue 09-Aug-05 18:09:08

IlanaK - thanks for that link. It doesn't show the one at Dulwich College, though, or Borough. Anyone know of any others in london - or when the Dulwich one is?

Blu Tue 09-Aug-05 18:09:09

IlanaK - thanks for that link. It doesn't show the one at Dulwich College, though, or Borough. Anyone know of any others in london - or when the Dulwich one is?

OldieMum Tue 09-Aug-05 18:12:10

How about getting a veggie box delivered? Try Abel and Cole. We have been getting deliveries from them for almost 2 years now and are very happy with them. here

IlanaK Tue 09-Aug-05 18:43:59

Ah - Borough market is not a farmers market (though I shop there regularly and it is lovely). A farmer's market by definition can only have farmers selling products they produce themselves. At Borough market, the greengrocer stalls have a variety of fruit and veg from lots of places. SAme with the meat. I don't know of the one in Dulwich.

There is an organic market at Spitalfieds. That is the only other non-farmers market in London that I know of (I am not including the everyday markets - not sure what to call them. We have one in LIsson Grove near us on a Saterday. A mixture of fruit and veg stalls as well as clothes, etc. Not generally good quality produce). The farmers markets in London that are listed in my Food Lovers London book are:
Blackheath, Ealing, Islington, Marylebone (my local one!), Nottinghill, Stoke Newington, Peckham, Pimlico Rd, Richmond, Swiss Cottage, TWickenham, Wimbledon Park.

I will also second Abel and Cole. We use them too.

fredly Tue 09-Aug-05 21:13:12

I have checked Abel & Cole, they do deliver in my area so i'll let you know how we got on after I've received my 1st order ! Thanks a lot for the tip.

fredly Mon 15-Aug-05 16:20:46

well actually no I won't tell you ! I live out of their main delivery area so I'm restricted to a choice of 2 boxes ! not allowed meat or fish or fancier veg&fruit boxes. Arrgghhhh !!

Lio Mon 15-Aug-05 16:36:21

KBear, big barn is good - scoot down the page to "Find your local producers" and choose a radius of x miles from your home.

sarah33 Tue 16-Aug-05 12:09:49

Does any one know of a farmers market in the Sheffield area? Im sick of buying supermarket produce.

sarah33 Tue 16-Aug-05 12:09:52

Does any one know of a farmers market in the Sheffield area? Im sick of buying supermarket produce.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now