Talk

Advanced search

How do you get a jelly out of a mould in one piece?

(11 Posts)
Lonelymum Mon 08-Aug-05 18:35:49

This is a perennial problem for me. Ds1 loves jelly and loves making them himself. I have two very old glass jelly moulds and a plastic mould in the shape of a car. I can sometimes get the jelly out of the glass moulds by dipping the moulds in hot water, but the plastic mould defeats me. Ds1 has just stormed off because I have ruined his latest jelly in attempting to remove it. What is the secret? I know about dipping the moulds in hot water, but do you dip it for more or less time if the mould is plastic as opposed to glass? I also know about running a knife around the top to loosen the jelly but this doesn't seem to help. Anyone know what I should try next?

Twiglett Mon 08-Aug-05 18:37:53

could you try turning it upside down on a plate and placing a tea-towel (previously soaked in hot water) over the top of it?

maybe?

starlover Mon 08-Aug-05 18:38:03

have you tried putting it on a plate and wobbling it around (after the knife and the hot water)

Lonelymum Mon 08-Aug-05 20:53:53

I have tried the wobbling around bit and poking with knife but I just end up cutting the thing up. Will try the tea towel idea next time.

Anyone else got the foolproof method?

Milliways Mon 08-Aug-05 20:55:39

Gravity?
I used to turn our (mickey mouse) mould over, tap it & leave it. Eventually it fell out

edodgy Mon 08-Aug-05 20:56:18

Aren't you meant to do something with hot water to it like put it on a plate run hot tap water over it remove it from under the tap then it should come off easily, I really dont know how I know that but might be worth a try!

Lonelymum Mon 08-Aug-05 21:01:31

Gravity just results in a bit falling away and (today) ds1 storming off refusing to eat it as I had ruined his masterpiece!

Edodgy, I tried the hot water bit, but it never seems to work on my plastic mould....

loobywoof Mon 08-Aug-05 21:06:44

I think you are supposed to make sure the mould is wet with water inside before you pour the jelly in. That's what I remember my mum doing - we had the car jelly mould too!

Lonelymum Mon 08-Aug-05 21:18:47

loobywoof, right that is something new for me to try.

Twiglett Tue 09-Aug-05 08:15:10

also if its breaking up try adding a little less water when you make it so its less wobbly

AdrienneMarchand Fri 07-Nov-14 18:34:53

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now