Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Food ideas for dh with Man-Toothache

(44 Posts)
WigWamBam Mon 08-Aug-05 10:55:21

Dh had root canal treatment last week, and you'd think he'd had something amputated, never mind filled. He can't eat (refuses to eat on the other side of his mouth, which doesn't help) and now claims not to be able to open his mouth wide enough to get food in. Breakfast this morning was a pint of banana smoothie, which took him half an hour to drink in between the wincing and the moaning and groaning.

Any ideas as to what I can give him that will be easy to eat yet nutritious and filling? I'm thinking of stewed fruit, but I don't think that'll fill him up very well. He's muttering about me going and getting him some Complan, but I'm pretty sure he wouldn't eat it because it tastes like wallpaper paste.

Heeeeeeeelp!!

starlover Mon 08-Aug-05 10:56:12

erm i would send him back to the dentist if he is in that much pain.
it's quite easy to get an abcess in a root canal

starlover Mon 08-Aug-05 10:56:45

oh and if he wants complan then give it to him! if he doesn't like it tough luck! lol

WigWamBam Mon 08-Aug-05 10:57:04

He's been back to the dentist and has some antibiotics. What he needs now is some food!

starlover Mon 08-Aug-05 10:58:24

ahh good... i'd go with the complan.
that way he can't blame you because HE asked for it...

otherwise... mashed potato?

helsy Mon 08-Aug-05 11:03:25

Mashed potato? thick soup? Kick up the a**e? Sorry, not good with sick husbands

WigWamBam Mon 08-Aug-05 11:07:11

I tried mashed potato and beans yesterday and he reckons he couldn't manage it. The kick up the ar$e isn't far away, I assure you

I know it hurts him, but when I had an infected tooth, I just had to get on with it ... men, eh?

Janh Mon 08-Aug-05 11:07:38

Scrambled egg? Cheese omelette?

Marina Mon 08-Aug-05 11:09:42

I think he is heading for peanut brittle/big potato crisp territory quite fast WWB.
Or a really bracing chili con carne followed swiftly by the densest sorbet you can muster.

Hausfrau Mon 08-Aug-05 11:11:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

starlover Mon 08-Aug-05 11:11:55

men are so infuriating aren't they.

i would just ask him what he wants to eat. if he says complan then complan it is! if it's anything else then make it and if he moans that he can;'t manage it then tell him where to stick it!

WigWamBam Mon 08-Aug-05 11:12:06

Ooh, Marina, don't tempt me

He came home from the dentist with a swiss roll(!) because he thought it would be nice and soft and easy to eat but he couldn't eat that either.

Easy Mon 08-Aug-05 11:12:42

Porrige, luke warm, no sugar (or salt) made with water. Thats the nearest recipe I can come up with to match gruel.

Honestly, why can't he chew on the other side FGS!!!

Is he underweight? If not, watch out for the complan. if he uses it as meal replacement 3 times a day he'll gain pounds really fast.

starlover Mon 08-Aug-05 11:12:48

pmsl at swiss roll!

actually, if dp turned down cake i would know he was seriously ill!

starlover Mon 08-Aug-05 11:13:26

my brother and i used to LOVE complan!
he was a bit funny about food when we were little and would live on it for weeks on end!

spidermama Mon 08-Aug-05 11:14:20

Lentil soup, or any soup, pulverised.

WigWamBam Mon 08-Aug-05 11:14:55

He won't chew on the other side because he has a tooth missing on that side, and gets food stuck. I know - most of us would chew on that side and then clean our teeth, but this is a man we're talking about here.

He's definitely not underweight - I hadn't twigged with that about the Complan, Easy.

starlover Mon 08-Aug-05 11:15:14

liquidise his swiss roll with a cup of tea and give it to him through a straw! lol

WigWamBam Mon 08-Aug-05 11:16:30

I did offer him pureed pizza last night; he wasn't amused.

WigWamBam Mon 08-Aug-05 14:26:13

And it gets better ...

He's on his way home from work, and when he gets here he's going to go to bed, because he just can't cope with it otherwise.

I wonder how I manage when I'm ill? Grrrrrrrr ...

madmarchhare Mon 08-Aug-05 14:31:22

How about some fish?, preferably wet and slapped around the face.

WigWamBam Mon 08-Aug-05 14:34:17

I know where I'd shove the wet fish if I had some ...

acnebride Mon 08-Aug-05 14:37:59

Alternate the Complan and Slimfast.

Whisky and water? Anything that makes him more cheerful wd be good.

To be fair I do think teeth and feet are really tough when they hurt.

lucy5 Mon 08-Aug-05 14:38:47

I had root canal treatment last week, I definetly didnt feel like that, mmmm men. Give him some sleeping tablets and knock him out 4 3 days hahaha

WigWamBam Mon 08-Aug-05 14:41:04

I know teeth are really bad when they hurt. But I'm remembering how much help and sympathy I got from him when I had a tooth infection ...

Perhaps what I ought to be serving him up is sour grapes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now