Talk

Advanced search

one pot vegan dinners that can be frozen??

(7 Posts)
mollymalloo Mon 08-Aug-05 08:23:27

can anyone give me any ideas/recipes for vegan dinners that can be cooked in advance and frozen for convenience? (also, anyone else out there eat meat but married to a vegan?!)

suzywong Mon 08-Aug-05 08:28:50

yes I can

this is called red dragon pie

how good are you at cooking? do you need everything spelled out IYSWIM or do you know what you're doing before I post?

fisil Mon 08-Aug-05 09:08:36

My dp is veggie. We always used to eat veggie, but now ds1 and I eat sausages occassionally. So basically still veggie.

Any basic tomato based sauce: fry onions and garlic lightly. Add a tin of tomatoes and dried herbs.

You can make this into ...

... bolognaise sauce by adding mushrooms and re-keat soy mince
... chilli by adding chilli and kidney beans
... bean stew by adding different types of beans and a few lentils
... shepherds pie by adding mince and lentils and putting mash on top
... ratatouile (sp?) by adding aubergine and courgettes

All of these can be frozen. HTH.

mollymalloo Mon 08-Aug-05 19:43:01

red dragon pie sounds intriguing and im a reasonably good (but uninspired!) cook so no need for step by step and thanks! x
fisil...thats such a good idea, make all of those thigs but from scratch each time so thanks for the tip x

suzywong Tue 09-Aug-05 07:28:33

right then

well it's aduki beans cooked with like mince with mashed potato topping

You soak the aduki beans 8 hours, about 8oz, boil them in their soaking liquor until al dente, about 30 minutes tops, meanwhile prepare a base of chopped onions, carrots and garlic sauted in oil. When golden and soft add a splash of redwine ( if you get vegan red wine?) and boil off alcohol, add tomatoe puree, a teaspoon of sugar, dark soy sauce and season to taste. Mix this into the cooked beans (they should have quite a bit of moisture in them but not swimming in it) cook for another 5 minutes to blend flavours and then put in dish, top with mashed potato - I'd put vegan marge and chopped spring onions and white pepper in it) and bob's your aunty's live in lover. Once thawed cooke in hot oven 20 minutes

Didn't mean to patronise you about cooking skills, just needed to know if I had to write down every tiny thing

frannyf Tue 09-Aug-05 08:06:42

Red dragon pie is delicious! We eat mainly vegan and I am a very lazy cook so I freeze everything if possible. Here are a few favourites:

Kidney bean stew : saute leeks, mushrooms and carrots then add tinned tomatoes, stock, paprika and soy sauce. Simmer for about half an hour. Add kidney beans, sweetcorn, and you can put in veggie dumplings at this point, but I don't think they freeze well. Simmer with the lid on for about 15 mins.

Nut loaf : fry onions, mushrooms and then mix with cooked brown rice and lots of ground, mixed nuts and seeds (eg cashew, almond, sunflower, pumpkin). Add a stock cube dissolved with a little water to make a paste and some soy sauce, tomato puree etc. Pack into a loaf tin or baking dish and bake. Lovely with veggie gravy and roast vegetables, or in summer a plain tomato sauce like fisil suggests, and new potatoes.

Lentils and squash : Fry onions, carrots, celery, and then fry red lentils for a few minutes until slightly transparent. Add stock and cook until tender. Add steamed butternut squash or sweet potato, (can freeze it at this point or cook the squash fresh when you make the rice) and serve with rice or quinoa.

Barley pilaf : Fry onions, carrots, courgette until just tender and then add barley, cumin, coriander and cinnamon. Add stock, simmer until barley is almost cooked, then add raisins and chickpeas. This has a lovely middle Eastern flavour.

Hope some of these ideas appeal. My son aged 2 enjoys all the above as well! We are the other way round in our house in that I like mostly vegan food and my partner eats meat, but not at home.

mollymalloo Wed 10-Aug-05 12:11:18

cheers suzy and didnt think you wre patronising me at all! (in fact cant stand the delia approach ie...this is an egg, break it in half, put it in bowl etc!!) x
sounds delicious and great for ds too (maybe minus wine though!)

frannyf...all sounds great and so fantastic to get some new ideas..thanks!! xx

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: