Talk

Advanced search

Do your children help themselves to food?

(20 Posts)
emkana Sun 07-Aug-05 19:43:41

... or do they only have what you give them?

Mine are 4 and 2 and couldn't reach the fridge/cupboard without pulling a chair up. Dd1 wouldn't dream of doing that, but with dd2 we will have to see... she's more of a rebel already.

WigWamBam Sun 07-Aug-05 19:47:01

My dd is 4, and she is allowed to help herself to fruit, but nothing else.

jane313 Sun 07-Aug-05 19:48:32

My 2 year olds loves getting stuff from the fridge, its really annoying. he would probably get a chair if he need to though. We don't let him have it though unless its snack time anyway. there not much he could actually eat without us unwrapping it/undoing it etc so he has to get us to help.

I keep meaning to get milk delivered but don;t trust him getting out glass bottles!

Hattie05 Sun 07-Aug-05 19:49:48

My dd is two, she will help herself to anything she can get her hands on, at the moment that is fruit, bread, and 'daddy's' biscuits if he forgets to put them away properly .

She can also reach the cats food, but thankfully only feeds that to the cat.

charliecat Sun 07-Aug-05 19:50:11

They help themselves to breakfast in the morning if im not up but nothing else, they always ask, they would never eat dinner otherwise...other peoples kids do though, in my house....drives me mad.

Twiglett Sun 07-Aug-05 19:51:40

yes .. fridge (yogurts and such) and fruit and bread from the bread bin

soapbox Sun 07-Aug-05 19:52:42

Only fruit - they have to ask for anything else.

Miaou Sun 07-Aug-05 19:53:07

Mine don't - we have mealtimes and snacktimes and that's when they eat. They both have small appetites so it would be a disaster if they were to help themselves.

kid Sun 07-Aug-05 19:55:19

My DS is 3.4 and went through a phase of helping himself. He could climb on the washing machince door, then up onto the side and to the cupboard!

He now asks if he wants something to eat. I put his yogurts and babybels in the fridge door where he can reach and he can also reach the fruit. I don't like him to just go and help himself as he would eat non-stop!

Twiglett Sun 07-Aug-05 19:55:46

.. sorry he asks first .. and then gets it himself .. he isn't allowed anything without asking (politely) first

frogs Sun 07-Aug-05 19:57:31

Not if they want to live a long and happy life, no.

If they want food between meals they have to come and ask. I'm not keen on them eating between meals, in general -- I'd rather they ate properly at mealtimes.

I know other people let their kids help themselves, and never understand (a) how you get round the kids filling up on crap and then not eating meals, and (b) how you keep track of what has and hasn't run out.

MrsGordonRamsay Sun 07-Aug-05 19:59:23

Well, my DS4 would like to think he can help himself........but his manners kick in, and he always, announces in a loud voice once he has opened the door.................I shall have...........cue Mum saying Yoghurts or cheese but only one.......

jamboure Sun 07-Aug-05 20:54:50

ds1- 3.5 pulls the chair to the fridge stands up and gets whatever he fancies at the time

HOWEVER

He does only do this around meal times kind of a hint I suppose

QueenOfQuotes Sun 07-Aug-05 20:59:30

Not yet as I feel they're too young - but once they're older (8yrs upwards) then I'll probably let them.

DH and I both 'snack' during the day - and if my boys want to do the same when they're old that's fine

jane313 Sun 07-Aug-05 21:00:15

At Xmas last year we had a dips and chips and bits sort of buffet, it was the first time my son had had a sour cream dip and it was love at first bite. The expiry date was that night so I put it in the bin. Later I found him charging around the kitchen with it; he couldn't let go!

WideWebWitch Sun 07-Aug-05 21:36:31

Ds is allowed to help himself to anything he can get on his own, so that's fruit, yoghurts, nuts. He's 7.5 though. Dd will be able to when she can reach and does more than just chuck satsumas. It's only healthy stuff so even if he does fill himself up a bit it's not on crap.

jamiesam Sun 07-Aug-05 21:39:24

Hmmm, emkana, I also have 4 and 2 year olds. Ds2 is more of a rebel then ds1 and will often help himself to fruit from the dining table - ds1 will then pluck up courage to copy him!

tortoiseshell Sun 07-Aug-05 21:39:58

Ds helps himself and his sister to food without a second thought. We don't have any biscuits/crisps/sweets/chocolate/cakes in the house, so it tends to be pieces of bread or dry breakfast cereal. Impossible to stop him really!

Hulababy Mon 08-Aug-05 08:10:09

DD is 3y 4m and isn't allowed to help herself to food without asking. If she asks first though, she is able to help herself to fuit from the fruit bowl on the table.

Kayleigh Mon 08-Aug-05 08:13:43

Absolutely not. My boys are 7 and 4 and they ask if they want something to eat. Fruit is in easy reach but they would always ask first.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now