Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

need fish advice!

(8 Posts)
emily05 Sun 07-Aug-05 19:23:30

I haven't had fish since I was little. So I want to start eating it again - but am clueless when it comes to seafood.

Any advice on 1. which fish is good to start with 2. how I cook it! (I really am clueless!)
thanks x

colditz Sun 07-Aug-05 19:26:19

You can fry it, poach it, grill it, bake it in the oven in foil....

It is cooked when you can stick a fork in it and the flesh flakes easily.

I love all fish, so can't choose!

hercules Sun 07-Aug-05 19:28:18

What about starting with a mackeral or rainbow trout? Buy them whoe and either grill or wrap in foil in oven and squeeze fresh lemon on. Yummy.
We eat fish at least 3 times a week.

marne Sun 07-Aug-05 19:31:32

Cod, plaice and hadock are simple to cook, bake it grill it or fry in batter or bread crumbs. I also love salmon, i bake it in tin foil with a slice of lemon, salt and pepper and a tea spoon of water to keep it moist, cooks in 20 mins.

emily05 Sun 07-Aug-05 19:38:27

thanks - will gove your ideas a go - really want to like fish because of the health benefits

Twiglett Sun 07-Aug-05 19:50:30

Salmon .. get the straight fillets as they have no bones (unlike the circular ones that are cut through the whole fish)

poach it .. just put the fillets face down in a pan of cold water (water to cover them) add about 6 peppercorns, a bayleaf, a quarter of lemon (or a splash of lemon juice) .. bring to the boil and simmer for 20 mins .. delicious

any fish works if you season it .. wrap it in foil and shove it in the oven for 20 minutes at a medium heat really

Twiglett Sun 07-Aug-05 19:50:30

Salmon .. get the straight fillets as they have no bones (unlike the circular ones that are cut through the whole fish)

poach it .. just put the fillets face down in a pan of cold water (water to cover them) add about 6 peppercorns, a bayleaf, a quarter of lemon (or a splash of lemon juice) .. bring to the boil and simmer for 20 mins .. delicious

any fish works if you season it .. wrap it in foil and shove it in the oven for 20 minutes at a medium heat really

lydz Mon 08-Aug-05 11:59:17

Salmon - if you can get organic, it is really SO much nicer than cheaper salmon. When I was pregnant last, I was eating salmon most days, and my skin was so good, really smooth (never is normally!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now