Talk

Advanced search

thinking of not going to the supermarket anymore

(4 Posts)
emily05 Fri 05-Aug-05 18:29:51

I am cheesed off with going to the supermarket. They are a nightmare. After watching the tv show about the meat and veg it has put me right off.

SO I am thinking of using a local butcher who only stocks locally produced freerange and organic meat and a veg/fruit box scheme. Also for bits and bobs using my little londis shop at the end of the road (less temptation!)

Does anybody else not use supermarkets?
Is it going to be loads more money (I have a budget of £50 a week for 3)?
Any advice on the cheapest box scheme? I am sure there was a thread about this so will have a look.
thanks

trefusis Fri 05-Aug-05 18:33:54

Message withdrawn

Littlefish Fri 05-Aug-05 19:31:57

Hi Emily

I use a local butcher, an organic veg box delivered to my house and then only do a big supermarket shop about once a month for things like cleaning materials, tinned tomatoes, flour, butter etc. I use a breadmaker to make our bread.

I usually do the supermarket shop online as we live about 10 miles away from the supermarket. If you spend over £75 with Sainsbury and have it delivered Tuesday-Thursday then delivery is free, so I avoid using my car and save the petrol money.

I think my local butcher is actually a bit cheaper on somethings than the supermarket and the quality is about 200% better! As I'm not going up and down the aisles and always write a list before going on-line, I don't buy all the "extras" that invariably add pounds onto our shopping bill.

emily05 Fri 05-Aug-05 19:33:19

thanks trefusis. will check out the other thread. I am quite excited about this idea too. thanks again for replying

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: