Talk

Advanced search

herbal tea?

(12 Posts)
Charlee Fri 05-Aug-05 08:48:54

Can ds drink herbal fruit tea? if so do i have to amke it any different? its jsut ds wont drink water only juice so i thought it may be a bit healthey for him?
also i know there has been many a thread about this but how important is it for him to take juice out of a cup? he has 1 tooth, he will not drink form a cup with or without a spout! he just screams when i put it to his mouth, and he cant pick it up himself, he was taking a soft spout for a while but now he wont again! the dietician said he should be having everythign froma cup because it will amke his teeth bad so now i feel guilty everytime i give him it in a bottle.

desperatehousewife Fri 05-Aug-05 08:51:08

Personally i wouldn't stress about it. I think too much fuss is made of getting off bottles immediately at 12 months. Just get fluid in him any way you can and don't beat yourself up. He'll have another set of teeth when he's bigger. And I don't suppose our mums worried about such things when we were little.

Charlee Fri 05-Aug-05 08:52:29

thats what i was thinking but the h.v and the dietician always say by now (11 months) he should be holding his own cup/bottle and drinking from a cup and he wont! i feel like im doing something wrong by him

Charlee Fri 05-Aug-05 09:00:14

bump

Windermere Fri 05-Aug-05 09:14:05

You have to be careful with fruit teas. I heard on `This Morning recently` that they are responsible for tooth decay in adults. I would seek advice from your dentist before giving on a regular basis.

Windermere Fri 05-Aug-05 09:15:12

By the way, Charlee my ds is one next week and he can't manage to drink from a beaker on his own properly. I am hoping he will just do it when he is ready.

desperatehousewife Fri 05-Aug-05 09:15:35

next time you speak to them ask what's the worst that can happen. All you can do is encourage him to hold his own cup. Maybe try something in betweeny - something that doesn't look like his baby bottle, but that isn't a hard cup. There are so many bright and fun cups around - with soft spouts - try one of those. Give lots of praise if he even attempts to hold it. Keep encouraging and don't stress.

Charlee Fri 05-Aug-05 09:17:10

He was taking his juice from a bottle to cup trainer, with a soft spout and i havr brought every cup under the sun with no luck!
He can hold it laying down and drink it as he does in bed but all of a sudden he wont take the cup!

jabberwocky Fri 05-Aug-05 09:20:45

I've always wondered, is it important to get rid of the bottle just because such a strong sucking action could cause the same problems as prolonged thumbsucking? Ds loves milk out of a bottle still so dh slit the nipples and it's really more like a sippy cup spout now, but ds doesn't seem to notice any difference.

Charlee Fri 05-Aug-05 09:22:14

dos that work jabberwockey?

desperatehousewife Fri 05-Aug-05 09:29:56

I think they worry that it will push out teeth. My 3 year old drinks from a cup during the day, but his morning milk he sill has in a bottle (not a baby one, but a slit spout type thing). As long as they are not sucking on it for hours on end I can't see the problem.

jabberwocky Fri 05-Aug-05 10:02:04

Works like a charm Charlee.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now