Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What's your fav smoothie recipe?

(5 Posts)
swiperfox Wed 03-Aug-05 09:30:46

Want to make a variety of these for breakfast and lunch for me and for the children. Some recipes say add yoghurt, some say honey, some say sugar..... have any of you perfected a smoothie recipe??!

west3 Wed 03-Aug-05 16:49:21

The best "recipe" for me at the moment is just combining seasonal fruits -
Today was blending together 2 nectarines, 10 strawberries, 1 banana and 2 tablespoons of natural yoghurt.
Yesterday we tried 1/4 melon and 2 nectarines thinned down with pure apple juice.
Tomorrow I think we are probably going to experiment with berries, have some strawberries, raspberries and blueberries that need using up. Think I'll add a strawberry or raspberry yoghurt to sweeten it for dd and friends who are coming for lunch.
Have never added sugar or honey as the fruit is usually sweet enough. Going to start adding oats and cereals to breakfast ones soon - not sure how they will turn out!

MrsBoo Wed 03-Aug-05 17:01:18

Hi Swiperfox
My DS (5) will only have banana based smoothie. It's made with one banana, handful of ice cubes, and a yoghurt (normally vanilla mullerlight). Mixed up, we call it banilla smoothie.
Other favourites are, banana and strawberries; strawberries and melon; mango and orange.
I always add ice cubes (this helps to thicken them up, and they're deliciously cool).
come to think of it, they're not very inventive really, as are always based on yogurt and ice, and whatever fruit i can find in the house. Sometimes add some pure orange or pineapple juice (whatever we've got in the fridge) too, for an extra little kick.
IMO you won't need sugar or honey, think that would defeat the purpose. Start of with some low-fat yogurt (your favourite flavour) and banana and ice for the basic recipe. Once you've got the basic receipe you can experiment with other fruits.

Blu Wed 03-Aug-05 17:08:28

Just don't use kiwi fruit. The seeds are very peppery and astringent when ground up - they make any smoothie quite horrid!

I like blueberry, raspberry, grape juice and plain yogurt, maybe a squeeze of lemon.

Or orange, fresh ginger and pineapple.

spidermama Wed 03-Aug-05 17:18:10

Blackcurrants are great in any smoothie and in season at the moment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now