Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Lamb's kidneys - clearly dh thinks I needed a challenge...

(10 Posts)
trefusis Tue 02-Aug-05 21:07:43

Message withdrawn

lucy5 Tue 02-Aug-05 21:09:04

Here in Spain they cook kidneys in Sherry but Ive never been able to face the. Sorry not much help.

trefusis Tue 02-Aug-05 21:42:56

Message withdrawn

motherinferior Tue 02-Aug-05 21:43:37

Nigel Slater has some recipes...what does he - ie your dh - suggest he does with them, eh?

motherinferior Tue 02-Aug-05 21:44:53

Kidneys cooked with sherry
For 2, with mashed potatoes
8 lamb's kidneys, halved and cores removed
juice of 1 lemon
2 tbsps olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 tbsp flour
1 wineglass of dry sherry
1 tbsp fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
salt
freshly ground black pepper

Drop the kidneys into the lemon juice and mix well. Leave for at least 10 minutes. Heat the olive oil in a shallow pan and cook the onion until soft and translucent, about 5-7 minutes. Add the garlic and cook briefly over a medium heat. Turn the heat up to boil away any liquid. Drain the kidneys, dry them on kitchen paper and add them to the pan. Brown the kidneys on all sides, stir in the flour and add the sherry with an equal amount of water. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the parsley, taste and season with salt and pepper.

I've cooked this, I think - I really like kidneys, as it happens.

trefusis Tue 02-Aug-05 21:48:18

Message withdrawn

happymerryberries Tue 02-Aug-05 21:49:59

Stif fried in soy and sherry with some garlic and fresh ginger. If you like, toss in a few scallops as well. MMMMMM

motherinferior Tue 02-Aug-05 21:52:05

Ingredients
2 slices fresh bread, cut from a crusty loaf
2 tbsp olive oil
2 lambs kidneys, chopped
1 tbsp red wine
1 tsp wholegrain mustard
2 tbsp double cream
1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped, to garnish.

Method
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
2. Place the slices of bread onto a baking tray, drizzle with one tablespoon of olive oil, then place in the hot oven for 3-4 minutes, or until toasted.
3. Heat the remaining olive oil in a frying pan and when hot, add the chopped kidneys.
4. Stir well, add the red wine and wholegrain mustard, and sauté for 1-2 minutes.
5. Add the double cream, heat through for one minute more.
6. Arrange the sliced toasted bread onto a serving plate, spoon the devilled kidneys on top, then sprinkle with chopped parsley, to serve.

motherinferior Tue 02-Aug-05 21:53:22

That was devilled kidneys.

I've not cooked kidneys in years. Suspect DP wouldn't like them, so I shall have to do them on his next night out. In fact my window of kidney-opportunity, so to speak, was pretty short as I was a vegetarian till not that long ago.

trefusis Tue 02-Aug-05 21:53:38

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now