Talk

Advanced search

Ideas for first birthday cake

(11 Posts)
poppy101 Mon 01-Aug-05 12:26:59

hi need some ideas, what would be the best kind of cake to make my one year old for his birthday, generally only use organic ingredients and find that he isn't that keen on sweet things. Planning on making a plain victoria sponge, what kind of topping etc. can I use at this age that isn't too sweet.
Calling all cooks out there any ideas ???

Twiglett Mon 01-Aug-05 12:36:05

I liked the birthday melon idea that came up on another thread

stick candles in a melon

Twiglett Mon 01-Aug-05 12:36:52

does he like fruit? you could do whipped cream and mixed berries (raspberries etc)

poppy101 Mon 01-Aug-05 18:16:32

Loves fruit, thats an idea.

tassis Mon 01-Aug-05 18:23:45

I made a dense chocolate one for the grown ups and he had no idea that he was missing out...

mandyc66 Mon 01-Aug-05 18:44:49

I made a chocolate teddy bear. chocolate cake not all chocolate!!!

mandyc66 Mon 01-Aug-05 18:45:42

what about a cream chees type topping like on carrott cake.

OldieMum Mon 01-Aug-05 19:05:50

I hate to be a party pooper, but, if DD is anything to go by, the cake is more about enjoying the candles etc than eating it. As others say, you could make a simple sponge cake and just put some cream + fruit on top. That way, he might eat the cream and fruit, at least.

popmum Mon 01-Aug-05 19:06:54

just do a number one shape!

PeachyClair Mon 01-Aug-05 19:32:14

My MIL made a fantastic Noah's Ark shape (boat shaped cake with icing animals) for DS3, it was gorgeous! That was chocolate, and as we had the naming ceremony the same day she made a cream iced fruit cake with golden brown rocking horses and his name iced.

You can rent most shapes from sugarcraft shops.

PeachyClair Mon 01-Aug-05 19:40:36

just remembered what she made ds1 (she is a confectioner by trade), really easy, several small cakes iced to look like building blocks (white with shop bought emblems on sides if you want), and then the letters spelling his name SAMUEL on tope each one. Each cake fed about four poeple I guess. She also made some teddy bears out of home made fudge in a mould for the little ones.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: