Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

For those of you who make your own bread...

(67 Posts)
Gillian76 Sun 31-Jul-05 19:08:51

Do you use a breadmaker, or your own fair hands???

Am thinking about joining the club

kid Sun 31-Jul-05 19:12:31

I use a bread maker but the bread doesn't taste nice. I end up putting it back in the cupboard for another 2 or 3 months and try again, still tastes horrible though!

Miaou Sun 31-Jul-05 19:14:55

Own fair hands (actually to be totally honest it's usually dh's own fair hands )

Bread from a breadmaker is quite a different quality to handmade bread IMO. I'm not a big fan of breadmaker bread - it tends to produce a very thick hard crust and be a bit too fluffy inside.

Gillian76 Sun 31-Jul-05 19:14:59

Oh dear

Do you make any by hand? Does that taste nice?

Gillian76 Sun 31-Jul-05 19:15:51

Any time I do it by hand it comes out with a really thick hard crust, Miaou. What am I doing wrong?

gigglinggoblin Sun 31-Jul-05 19:16:44

by hand bread is lovely and keeps the kids occupied if you give them a little bit of dough to mould into their initial or something

gigglinggoblin Sun 31-Jul-05 19:17:29

it helps keep it soft if you give it a light coating of flour before you cook it

Miaou Sun 31-Jul-05 19:18:25

Before you put it in the oven, use a flour shaker and generously douse the top of the loaf in flour. Then when it comes out, turn it out onto a cooling rack (right way up) and put a clean teatowel or muslin square over the top - helps retain enough moisture without making it soggy.

We also put a generous blob of olive oil in the mix (about two tablespoonsful) which helps with the softer crust.

lunachic Sun 31-Jul-05 19:19:23

i used to make it with hands havent done for years
i have just started another thread for recipes please

charleepeters Sun 31-Jul-05 19:20:20

We used our breadmaker for about a month as it was novel and fun! but then we got bored so now i jsut buy bread i found it tasted really nice though! its a good thing to have because i used to bake the bread overnight on the timer so it was fresh for breakfast in the morning.

Gillian76 Sun 31-Jul-05 19:22:04

I was just readng about horrid shop bought white bread. Having a big battle with DDs to eat brown. They will some of the time, but sometimes it's nice to have a treat

Will give it a try tonight - or is it better to do fresh in the morning? Although I suppose it'd be lunchtime before it was ready!

Gillian76 Sun 31-Jul-05 19:23:29

Oh, will try the olive oil. Butter is a no-no cos DD2 is dairy allergic. I wonder would soya spread do the same job?

charleepeters Sun 31-Jul-05 19:25:09

Your thread has stirres my craving for fresh bread, i think i will haul it out the cupboard and make some tomorrow

sarjon Sun 31-Jul-05 19:40:14

We always use the breadmaker in our house (thought it would just be a passing fad but we like the taste too much!!). Have found that by putting a crushed vit c tablet in with it makes it rise really well (only supposed to do that with brown/wholemeal bread but it works just as well with white). Also, making sure the yeast is v v fresh is important, didnt realise that yeast goes off so quickly and this is why our bread was so stodgy for a while!!!

Miaou Sun 31-Jul-05 19:45:28

Gillian, there is no need to make it fresh every morning - that's a rod for your own back! Dh tends to make two loaves at a time, freeze one, and stick the other in the bread crock. A 2lb loaf lasts us about two days (four of us).

Re the white/brown - do what my mum did to us years ago - she started adding 1oz of wholemeal flour and taking out 1oz of white each time she made a batch of bread - by the time three months was up we were eating 50% white/wholemeal and no-one noticed!!!

Feffi Sun 31-Jul-05 20:08:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Ameriscot2005 Sun 31-Jul-05 20:10:17

I use my Kenwood maxi with dough-hook. I let it knead for about 10 minutes.

I used to have a breadmaker but the loaf wouldn't make it even once round the table in our house, so it is easier to double up and put 2 loaves in the oven.

Gillian76 Sun 31-Jul-05 20:11:42

Oh, I have dried yeast. Is fresh better? How does one come by fresh yeast anyway???

Miaou Sun 31-Jul-05 20:20:50

i've always used dried yeast and it's fine - perhaps better if you buy it in sachets rather than tubs, then if you don't use it for a while it won't go off. We use Allinsons Easybake yeast sachets - you get a box of 6 or 12 I think.

Gillian76 Sun 31-Jul-05 20:23:52

It's Hovis, but sounds just the same Miaou. WIll let you know how delicious it turns out!

spidermama Sun 31-Jul-05 20:26:33

I used to have a bread maker and it was great. The bread tasted far better than ordinary bought bread.

My machine soon broke and I couldn't go back to bought bread so I started making it by hand. It's even nicer.

I use two thirds wholemeal to one third white flour. (Sometimes spelt flour) I also put in different things: Nuts, goat cheese, herbs, sun dried tomatoes, seeds).

I make three 1lb loaves at a time and usually give one away as a present or slice then freeze one. (You can take it out of the freezer in individual slices)

I'm hungry now.

helsi Sun 31-Jul-05 20:26:47

I tend to make more of the dough in the machine then bake it in the oven.

tortoiseshell Sun 31-Jul-05 20:29:27

I do a halfway house, using a breadmaker to make the dough, then take it out, shape into rolls/loaves, give it another rising and bake in the oven. Is the nicest bread I've ever had! I found that the sort of yeast you use is critical - the only one I've found that was ok is an orange packet one from Waitrose - will find the name out in a minute...

expatinscotland Sun 31-Jul-05 20:31:33

We use a breadmaker and LOVE it! We have a Panasonic as well. We use it regularly and the 'novelty' hasn't worn off yet. In the long run, it's economical for us - we don't buy bread products from the shop anymore except very occasionally. It makes lovely pizza dough as well.

I use to do it by hand, but w/two jobs, a toddler, school and being pregnant, I haven't got time.

katymac Sun 31-Jul-05 20:32:11

I'm interested in using Olive Oil for baking bread (as my cholesterol is so high) - I currently use veg suet - but I've got to cut down, does anyone have any recepies

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now