Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Ready Meals free the modern housewife from the shackles of the kitchen............

(8 Posts)
QueenOfQuotes Thu 28-Jul-05 22:07:55

true or false???

Well that's what the bloke on the Dispatches said tonight (head of a ready meal company)

I nearly PMSL at the prospect of spending £4-5 on tiny ready meals to feed my family with, rather than spending about £3-4 and about 20 minutes longer in the kitchen preparing freshly made food.!

Blackduck Thu 28-Jul-05 22:08:33

I just bet he goes home to freshly prepared meals!

expatinscotland Thu 28-Jul-05 22:14:43

YUK! Cannot abide the taste of ready 'meals'. Just the smell makes me retch.

A jacket potato or beans on toast w/shredded cheese would be just as quick and far better for you.

bobbybob Thu 28-Jul-05 22:22:42

By the time you have bought them and pricked them and cleaned the microwave after they explode everywhere, you could have made a nice omlette and a salad.

Also you get leftovers when you cook and they taste brilliant.

Oh and what's the modern husband doing?

edam Thu 28-Jul-05 22:36:32

Grrrrrr any man who uses the word housewife esp. in this context really gets my feminist hackles up. How patronising?!

Ready meal companies would say that, wouldn't they - there's money to be made out of it. But stupid to talk about housewives - surely their target market is working women?

If ready meals were tasty and nutritious, I'd agree. Sadly they are horrible. When my cook (aka dh) isn't around, and I'm too tired or busy to sort anything out, I've been known to eat a bowl of cereal rather than resort to this depressing fare.

edam Thu 28-Jul-05 22:37:24

um, for 'working women' read 'women who work outside the home'. Oops.

colditz Thu 28-Jul-05 23:11:38

Mmmmm, leftover sandwiches, on cheap white bread.... mmmmmm, comfort food heavennnnnmmmmm....

I just had curried mince, carrot, swede and cabbage on white bread with mayo, and it was fab!!!

nooka Thu 28-Jul-05 23:13:59

Some ready meals are delicious. I love Bighams and Waitrose Easy. They aren't quite ready (you just put the meat and sauce together and cook in general). I work all day, and my dh who is a SAHD does not cook for me, so I really appreciate something quick, easy and nice. But then I'm not a modern housewife (what's one of those anyway?)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now