Talk

Advanced search

Fridging food after cooking

(14 Posts)
ScrewballMuppet Wed 27-Jul-05 21:33:50

A little embarassed to ask but I am a novice in the kitchen. The things we eat are either prepeared fresh or straight out of the freezer. I'm attempting to get organised and prepare ahead.
My question is after cooking say a curry/casserole etc... how long can you keep it in the fridge so you can reheat and have later....are we talking not at all with certain meats or a day or two?

toothyboy Wed 27-Jul-05 21:36:07

In the fridge I'd probably want to eat it the next day - but actually I would make enough to freeze half of it for another whole meal - then it can stay in the freezer for weeks.

Twiglett Wed 27-Jul-05 21:38:34

a couple of days .. or until it whiffs

is 'fridging' a word or did you make that up?

marthamoo Wed 27-Jul-05 21:39:48

If I wasn't going to eat it the next day I would freeze it - though a couple of days would probably be fine. The key thing is to make sure it is thoroughly reheated so you kill any bugs that may have been lurking in there. Also you should cool it and refridgerate it as soon as possible after preparation. You say you're a novice so I hope I'm not being patronising - don't refridgerate and reheat prawns or other shellfish.

Refridgerate looks wrong - is it refrigerate? Yes it is.

moonshine Wed 27-Jul-05 21:40:23

Total layman's (woman's) reply but seem to remember reading that 2 days for most meats in the fridge is fine. Anyway, that's what I always do and haven't poisoned anyone yet!

Twiglett Wed 27-Jul-05 21:42:05

good point .. don't put food in the fridge until it is cool otherwise you'll mess up the temperature of your fridge

marthamoo Wed 27-Jul-05 21:44:07

here you go

Obviously the most important thing of all is to wear a fetching hat like the lady in the picture.

toothyboy Wed 27-Jul-05 21:45:26

Why is she standing like that?

marthamoo Wed 27-Jul-05 21:46:26

She has food poisoning and needs the loo.

Blossomhill Wed 27-Jul-05 21:48:20

Twiglett - lol @ fridging

toothyboy Wed 27-Jul-05 21:48:44

I thought she was about to curtsey to her fridge!

Nightynight Wed 27-Jul-05 22:02:13

I was expecting to get the bat!

Id re-heat cooked meat up to about 4-5 days, but then I am a bit of a dustbin, and I do reheat it thoroughly.

ScrewballMuppet Sun 31-Jul-05 22:52:22

Thanks you've been a big help!!!! love the link!!!!
Twiglet hadn't even realised about fridging. I think I did make it up...had a look on an online dictionary website....it asked if I was sure I didn't mean ridging....

Janh Sun 31-Jul-05 22:56:12

LOL at "check temperature of incoming goods" - they would be in that lorry coming down the street!

I'm a dustbin too. If it doesn't have things growing on it I'll usually give it a chance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now