Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Anyone make their own pasta?

(46 Posts)
marthamoo Wed 27-Jul-05 10:08:02

My parents bought me a pasta machine Mum swears I said once that I would like one - have to say, I don't remember this, and it doesn't sound like something I would say (I do love cooking but for me the beauty of pasta is that it's super-fast and easy - it's what we have when I can't be bothered to cook!) but anyway, I have my shiny stainless steel machine now. It looks very cool in my kitchen. I feel like Nigella.

Ant tips? Is it as much of a faff as I suspect? Is freshly made pasta far superior to shop bought? Any recipe suggestions?

TIA

marthamoo Wed 27-Jul-05 10:11:30

That's any tips, not ant tips.

Enid Wed 27-Jul-05 10:20:14

it is lovely, far superior and very very easy to make but quite messy and time consuming.

I find the recipe on the back of the pasta flour packets the best to use.

dd1 loves turning the handle.

Lasagne with homemade lasagne is just the best

Demented Wed 27-Jul-05 10:39:09

MM, I haven't made home made pasta for ages but it is definately superior. Do you have Nigella's meatball recipe from Nigella Bites, I generally make the pasta with it, usually when having friends round, I think I use the pasta recipe from that book too but can't remember exactly. Biggest reason I haven't made the pasta recently is that the kitchen since we moved doesn't have a bit of worktop I can easily attach the machine onto, otherwise I would definately still use it (note to self must see DH about sorting this problem).

marthamoo Wed 27-Jul-05 13:50:30

You have to buy pasta flour?!

I have Nigella Bites - I'll have a look in there, thanks Demented.

Mmmm...Tosspot Cook, Mullet Cook made real pasta the other day and the ds's both said they would like to try the turning of the handle: I guess they can now.

SenoraPostrophe Wed 27-Jul-05 13:53:17

jamie oliver has some good recipes.

it is a bit of a faff, especially if you are like dh and physically incapable of making one dish at a time. But it is worth it, and it provided a whole afternoon's entertainment for dd.

on another note - mm how far away are you from heysham?

lemonice Wed 27-Jul-05 13:54:18

I've got one but never used it...can you make baby pasta with it?

marthamoo Wed 27-Jul-05 14:00:40

I don't know where Heysham is...why?

Lol, lemonice

marthamoo Wed 27-Jul-05 14:02:22

SP, I still owe you an email to say not only am I shockingly untravelled but appallingly unread...can't email or msn now as I have been banished downstairs to the laptop while ds1 and his friend shoot things on the X-Box.

katierocket Wed 27-Jul-05 14:05:47

LOL at lemonice

cripes marthamoo, you are posh these days.

marthamoo Wed 27-Jul-05 14:12:39

One is, aren't I?

cerys Wed 27-Jul-05 15:52:19

Hi Marthamoo, I hate to tell you this but we just sold our pasta machine on eBay. We were given it as a wedding present, used it once, had a row making the pasta, banished it to the back of the cupboard. 6 years, 3 children and two house moves later, it has gone, hopefully to a happier home

I hope you have more success with yours. You're meant to use special italian flour, type 00 or something like that.

have fun!

spacedonkey Wed 27-Jul-05 15:54:50

I've read in at least 3 books on Italian cooking that it isn't superior to shop-bought dried pasta in any way. But it is satisfying to do and the kids will enjoy turning the handle while you feed the dough in!

SenoraPostrophe Wed 27-Jul-05 16:03:33

sd - that's true of spaghetti etc, but not of home made ravioli. mmmm

also you can make green spag and things.

spacedonkey Wed 27-Jul-05 16:04:30

true, you have to make your own for ravioli

marthamoo Wed 27-Jul-05 16:07:09

cerys, ah well...there's room for it next to the bread-machine at the back of the cupboard

Hiya donk - yes, I'd read that too. Didn't Delia have a bit of a rant about dried pasta being superior to fresh (I think she was talking about shop-bought fresh though).

SP...where is Heysham?! And how do you make it green? Spinach? Grass? Green food colouring?

marthamoo Wed 27-Jul-05 16:08:09

And oliveoil thinks MN is poop this afternoon - I ask you. It's a veritable mine of information.

cerys Wed 27-Jul-05 16:10:48

Marthamoo, just list it on eBay! I warn you, the postage was a bit steep, those things weigh a ton!

marthamoo Wed 27-Jul-05 16:12:17

I can't - the kids are dead keen on having a go.

serah Wed 27-Jul-05 16:12:46

The "flour" generally used in pasta making is durham wheat semolina. I did a search on the internet for pasta recipes and found one that uses just plain flour too, before I sourced the DWS at an Italian Deli.

Vote for home made being fab too! Mind you, first effort at Canneloni..... Jeeesh. It looked thin when I'd rolled it, but didn't taste thin when eating it - I forgot it expands

serah Wed 27-Jul-05 16:14:02

lol Cerys and Ebay

spacedonkey Wed 27-Jul-05 16:14:03

You can get the Italian 00 flour in most supermarkets nowadays

cerys Wed 27-Jul-05 16:14:55

you might love it and make lots of fresh pasta. In which case, can I come round for tea?
I wanted it to be a success, but am not that keen a cook. Sort of Can Cook, But Can't Always Be Arsed.

serah Wed 27-Jul-05 16:16:06

I thought my supermarket used to do a massive variety of flours Spacedonkey - until I wanted one of them - they seemed not to be bothering anymore, and as for the semolina, an assistant proffered a can of "ambrosia"

marthamoo Wed 27-Jul-05 16:22:02

LOL @ Sort of Can Cook, But Can't Always Be Arsed.

Will look out for flour - the booklet that came with the machine just says plain flour but I always buy 100% durum wheat dried pasta, so I'll see what I can find.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now