Talk

Advanced search

Raw eggs for a 4 year old?

(11 Posts)
WigWamBam Wed 27-Jul-05 08:50:38

I've made a pudding containing raw egg yolks, and it suddenly dawned on me that it might not be suitable for a 4 year old. My old HV always used to say that eggs should be hard-boiled for children up to the age of 5, but the eggs are organic and lion-marked so are presumably salmonella-free so I suspect that it would be OK - does anyone know?

Fio2 Wed 27-Jul-05 09:00:08

personally I think i would if they were organic and lion mark let her eat it, but thats me. i have no idea what they suggest nowadays

WigWamBam Wed 27-Jul-05 09:02:57

Thanks, Fio, I thought that too. She'll kick up such a stink as well, if everyone else gets the pudding and she doesn't!

WideWebWitch Wed 27-Jul-05 09:04:19

I wouldn't worry if they're organic and lion marked.

bubblerock Wed 27-Jul-05 09:04:45

I would have thought it would be okay, I'm sure most of us ate cake mix when we were little and survived

Fio2 Wed 27-Jul-05 09:05:24

oh yes i used to love licking the cake mix bowl out

WigWamBam Wed 27-Jul-05 09:05:49

That's true as well, bubblerock

Thanks, I thought I was probably just being over-cautious but thought it would be best to check.

katymac Wed 27-Jul-05 09:06:25

I've given raw eggs to my dd from about 18m - she scras the bowl everytime I make a cake

Does your 4yo have a delicate tummy - does she get every bug going round? If so I'd give it a miss & make her a special Ice Cream Sundae with lots of cream & cherries

Otherwise let her....

WigWamBam Wed 27-Jul-05 09:07:40

Katymac, she has cast-iron guts.

bubblerock Wed 27-Jul-05 09:08:03

It always tasted better than the cooked cake IMO

MascaraOHara Wed 27-Jul-05 09:08:19

tbh, I wouldn't have even thought about it! I'm sure dd has been eating things like that since she was weaned but then I'm not that 'up' on food and children. DD eats whatever she wants regardless of content (within reason)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now