Talk

Advanced search

Help me change my diet......please?

(30 Posts)
katymac Tue 26-Jul-05 22:28:20

Apparently I have high (very high) cholesterol and I need (maybe) to change my diet dramatically.

I am very worried about this as I have many food dislikes, borderline intolerances and IBS

I don't have a clue how to change my diet (which is currently carefully balanced to maintain few IBS symptoms)

Please help me

Bellie Tue 26-Jul-05 22:30:05

did your doctor not offer you any help or refer you to a dietrician? I would love to help you but not very good with food, but it sounds like you will be balancing a difficult situation.

Good luck

soapbox Tue 26-Jul-05 22:33:19

I saw something yesterday on one of the new websites saying that eating 2 bran based muffins a day reduced 'bad' cholestorol by 17% and overall cholestorol levels by 7%.

The bran contains plant stenols(???) which apparantly disolve the cholestrol.

You might also consider porridge made with oats, which is also good for lowering cholestorol levels.

How about Benecol yoghurts and stuff - not sure if they work?

soapbox Tue 26-Jul-05 22:33:43

Sorry that should say news websites

katymac Tue 26-Jul-05 22:37:59

I'm seeing the GP tomorrow and was wondering if I should ask to see a dietitian - because of my many issues, but didn't know if S/he would be able to help

Feel that "because I don't like it " is a pretty feeble reason not to eat 'good' foods and "well it sets off my IBS" is pretty much a catch all excuse

I have real issues with the whole situation

Not helped my answer phone message "Dr wants to see you today" which I got too late to make an appt today....(4.20 tomorrow so all day to worry)

Bellie Tue 26-Jul-05 22:39:54

I would ask to se the dietician and I am sure that they come across individuals with IBS and have diets that can help with that and with the cholesterol.
Sorry that you have to wait all day and hope it goes ok

kama Tue 26-Jul-05 22:45:47

Message withdrawn

gingernut Tue 26-Jul-05 22:45:51

Oh, poor you. Are you due any further appointments with doctor or dietitian? They may consider putting you on cholesterol-lowering drugs if your levels are very high. My dh has Type II diabetes and his cholesterol levels have shown up as being slightly high several times. He has just been advised to cut down on cheese (one of his vices ). No other advice but as his diet is actually fairly healthy as his diabetes is controlled by diet alone there isn't much else they can suggest. He's trying Benecol drinks at the moment, not sure if they have had any effect yet though. They claim one drink per day can make a difference, whereas you need 3 portions of the other products (e.g. the yogurts, spread etc) so he went for the drinks. There are now a couple of other similar plant stenol products on the market making the same claims.

Hopefully you will be able to see a dietitian who can advise on your diet. Are you on any medication for the IBS? That may be worth looking into if you are going to have to change your diet.

katymac Tue 26-Jul-05 22:46:09

Thanks Bellie & Soapbox....I'm really het up about it all

gingernut Tue 26-Jul-05 22:47:02

sorry, slooooow typing there, you have answered some of my questions.

gingernut Tue 26-Jul-05 22:51:48

here and here are some factsheets which might be useful.

katymac Tue 26-Jul-05 22:52:14

Kama - don't eat cheese or eggs (well maybe one portion of each a fortnight.....cheese & onion flan - which I love but it doesn't like me)

Already use olive oil to cook with (except roast - which I can and will change)

Have just spent last 4 yrs loosing 54lbs so was quite pleased with my diet

Gingernut - does Benecol have any milk in it? How high was your DH's?

katymac Tue 26-Jul-05 22:53:44

I also have scarily low blood pressure - so I don't know if that's good or not

Bellie Tue 26-Jul-05 22:54:03

congratulations on losing so much - talk to the dietician about how you can maintain that loss but reduce your cholesterol and keep your IBS under control.
Off to bed now but thinking of you tommorow

katymac Tue 26-Jul-05 22:55:54

Sleep well Bellie

I know fish oils trigger my IBS - I tried to take them for my rhumatism (sp) a while back along with EP oil

gingernut Tue 26-Jul-05 23:03:41

Benecol contains milk. Is that something you don't get on with?

dh can't remember how high his cholesterol was, sorry.

Are there other people in your family with high cholesterol? Try not to worry for now, speak to your doctor.

I'm off to bed, hope you get to see your GP soon.

Demented Wed 27-Jul-05 00:04:28

Good bacteria capsules/drinks really helped my IBS, although loads of these are milk based.

Demented Wed 27-Jul-05 00:05:31

Should add that once I had the IBS under control a more normal diet was achievable (couldn't take medication as it was diagnosed whilst trying for DS2).

katymac Wed 27-Jul-05 07:22:11

Thanks Demented - my IBS is Ok at the moment, completely controlled by diet. I'm just worried that if I start messing arround with my diet, it will flare up again.....and I don't really have time atm

katymac Wed 27-Jul-05 07:24:36

Thank Gingernut (too) - yep I'm very careful of milk stuff, they can really set me off (I think it's a borderline intolerance)

I need to calm down don't I?

gingernut Wed 27-Jul-05 10:14:36

well, as with most things, I'm sure worrying won't help! But it's entirely understandable. I think if your doctor is reluctant to refer you to a dietician you should push to see one though because I think it is really important for you. Hope you get a good one, some of them are a bit strict IMO (apologies to any dieticians out there - dh's was lovely but my MIL's wasn't quite so helpful).

katymac Wed 27-Jul-05 13:16:25

Thanks Gingernut - I've found more lately that when I've not wanted to try a food - if I do I found that it affects my tummy

So my instincts are quite reliable (iyswim)

katymac Wed 27-Jul-05 17:06:41

Typical days food

Breakfast - Cornflakes semiskimmed milk (& sugar)
Lunch - Tuna Mayo (about a teaspoon of mayo) Tomatoes & onions or beans on toast or tomato soup (Heinz) with homemade bread
Tea - Mince (extra lean) with carrots & onion and mash or grilled chicken snadwich (with fried (in olive oil) peppers, tomatoes & onions)or Sausage & mash with onion gravey

I snack on Bourbon creams/bananas/extra cereal

Maybe I have an occasional bacon buttie (grilled with no butter)at the weekend and a roast on sunday (using trex)

Where am I going wrong?

Bellie Wed 27-Jul-05 17:21:27

How did it go at the doctors today - did you get a referral to a dietician??
looking at the food you eat I'm not sure eiither, but hopefully someone can help. It looks really healthy and I wish I could stick to a plan like you.

katymac Wed 27-Jul-05 17:55:39

It went

Cut out animal fats....I rarely eat them...so cut them down.....maybe once a month....yes aim for that....no that's what I do already

So I'm to see the nurse (don't be silly you don't need to see a dietician - it's not that bad)

Keep a diary for a week - I'm a Childminder and provide my mindees with a menu (which we stick too).....Yes but what do you eat...same as mindees

pointless

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now