Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Should i wean yet?

(9 Posts)
Louise1970 Thu 21-Jul-05 23:56:43

My dd2 is coming up 6 months soon. I did plan to introduce her to food. BUT, she is not indicating to me that she needs it. She is not waking in the night. She still sleeps from 6pm to 8am all night. ANd is quite content during the day too. Complete opposite to my ds1 20 months.

spidermama Thu 21-Jul-05 23:59:36

I'm not sure if you're taling about weqning or introducing solids alongside milk.

If the latter ..... You don't have to do it yet. My ds2 was ten months before I weaned him. My friends dd was 14 months!

Guidelines in the 50s said wean when they're 12 months.

You will know when she needs it. Put it off as long as feels good.

Louise1970 Fri 22-Jul-05 00:02:48

Sorry, mean't weaning. Do you always have to give rice 1st..

spidermama Fri 22-Jul-05 00:07:32

I avoid rice as it's more filling than nutritious and not nearly as nutritious as milk. I could be wrong, but I think people grab for the rice in the misplaced belief it'll help baby sleep longer.

You're better off going with good nutritious single foods in the first instance (steamed pureed apples/carrots. Banana. Avodcado).

My ds will be 6 months old tomorrow. I gave him a teeny bit of avacado to dip his big fat hand in today, just so he could join us all at the table.

Aww! I feel the end of an era coming on as he's my last.

dollyeyes Fri 22-Jul-05 00:09:03

Hi Louise1970-just popped over as i saw this on the other thread.
My ds was constantly hungry and i weaned him at 4 months and i did start with baby rice just because that is what all the books said
With my dd she was 5 months and i gave her rusks with her babymilk mushed up and fromage frais for 4 months old.
I just think it all depends.Your dd sounds happy enough and i would say you as her mother know best and not to rely on what a book says is the correct age or what a HV might advise!!!!

Go with your instincts.

Louise1970 Fri 22-Jul-05 08:06:07

Interesting you should talk about advocadp. I love it myself and ate a lot when pregnant with my ds1. i tried him with it and he can out with a rash and was in pain in his tummy. Not many people try advacado so it was interesting that you should mention it.. I must admit the problem i have with my dd2 is that she is a really bad pooer. She has not been for a week. See my other thread in breast and bottle feeding. Everyone i know is saying to wean her. Even the doctors. Dp and i don't think it is a good enough reason to do this. She should be pooing herself. Water and juice is hard to get down her, she will only take a cup and then i can not see how much goes down as most of it comes out. Hmmmm

spidermama Sat 23-Jul-05 13:49:14

Louise my 6-month old doesn';t poo much either. It just means he's using it all. I'm not worried.

You know better than anyone, doctors included, when to feed your baby solids. Unless there's real cause for concern, it's no-one's business but yours. YOU know best.

Doctors very often get this wrong.

Louise1970 Sat 23-Jul-05 13:57:54

It was getting quite bad, she was screaming all the time and straining. The doctor has given me a supostry which worked last night. Not much came out though, compared with how much is going in. The only time i really worry about my children is when there is a digestive problem. I have crohns disease so i suppose it would be natural for me to worry. See how it goes. The doctor did say that if it happens again. 10 without pooing she may need to go in to hospital. My worst nightmare...

spidermama Sat 23-Jul-05 14:10:32

OMG you poor thing. I had this with my dd1. She was really straining and having trouble pooing, just on breastmilk. Odd because BM usually makes for runny poo.

It's very upsetting isn't it. I never got to the bottom of it but it seemed to get better all on it's own. My FIL has Crohn's. I can understand why you'd be particularly attentive about digestive matters.

I hope things improve. They did for my little girl and she's now a goregous 7 year old who eats brilliantly and never has any problems in this area.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now