Talk

Advanced search

Is coffee bad for you?

(12 Posts)
spidermama Thu 21-Jul-05 19:20:04

I'm looking for evidence that coffee is bad for me to help me stop drinking it.

My gut instinct tells me it's bad, but that's not enough to fend off the cravings.

It can't possibly be good, even though it feels that way in the mornings.

ZoeC Thu 21-Jul-05 19:21:44

I can't tell you if it's bad for you (although it probably is), but I may be able to cure you of liking it - try eating a spoonful of instant coffee. I did it years ago and can't go near a mug of coffee for any money

(warning, you may froth at the mouth )

Whizzz Thu 21-Jul-05 19:22:54

all you ever wanted to know

and more!

spidermama Thu 21-Jul-05 19:23:20

Hmmmmm. Might try that zoe. Sherbet, with a twist.

spidermama Thu 21-Jul-05 19:24:44

Great thanks whizz. That's my homework sorted for this evening then.

DaddyCool Fri 22-Jul-05 10:33:28

i asked the same question on a thread in the 'health' area a few months ago. Mothernature (i think?) provided me with the same link and according to that, coffee is actually alright for you. i've started drinking coffee again but not as much. i drink decaf on days where i haven't had a rough night with ds.

kama Fri 22-Jul-05 10:46:00

Message withdrawn

aloha Fri 22-Jul-05 10:48:59

No, it isn't bad for you at all in reasonable amounts. In fact, it may help stave off Alzheimers. Having said that, I find caffeine makes me so irritable these days that I only drink decaff at home. Love a decent coffee when I'm out though.

emily05 Fri 22-Jul-05 10:50:30

spidermama - I was a teaoholic! I drabk about 10 - 15 cups a day and it caused me all sorts of problems.
I now drink about 2 - 4 cups a day and feel ALOT better. Planning to cut down to 1 cup a day.

How many cups of coffee do you have a day?

Arabica Fri 22-Jul-05 11:20:35

Instant coffee is definitely bad for you because it tastes so awful, even when fairly traded and organic. But a steaming pot of freshly-brewed Java, preferably drunk from a china cup in a cafe somewhere exotic (like Java itself), is one of life's finest pleasures...

DaddyCool Fri 22-Jul-05 11:27:26

instant coffee is simply hot and wet. it has nothing else going for it. it doesn't even taste like coffee should taste. it's a completely different drink.

sorry, i have strong feelings on this subject matter

Arabica Fri 22-Jul-05 11:34:09

I craved instant coffee when pregnant, it was SO embarrassing because I am such a coffee snob.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now