Talk

Advanced search

new veg ideas:

(21 Posts)
lunarx Thu 21-Jul-05 13:13:03

hoping some ladies here can give some suggestions for new and different veg to try my son on (he's nearly 13 months!) he isn't extremely picky, but is cautious of new things!

thanks ladies!!

SoupDragon Thu 21-Jul-05 13:22:53

What does he eat already?

jamboure Thu 21-Jul-05 13:40:52

i give my twins cauliflower, (soft as hell) with a pot of philadelphia(mini tub) through it and a slice of kraft singles on top, under the grill and its superb

PeachyClair Thu 21-Jul-05 14:02:38

Tesco have started doing baby sweetcorn in their savers range, it's ideal for dipping into creme fraiche or cottage cheese

Avocado blemded into a dip so he can get a taste for it?

Sweet potatoes too- baked like a normal jacket then with butter... you can even serve with mashed banana.

WigWamBam Thu 21-Jul-05 14:45:13

Sugar snap peas, baby corn and fine beans as finger foods
Roasted butternut or spaghetti squash, either as a veg or in with stews and soups
Broad beans

fredly Thu 21-Jul-05 15:41:56

try homemade ratatouille, as it mixes veggies that babies rarely like on their own, like courgettes and aubergines, and also garlic and onion.

WigWamBam Thu 21-Jul-05 17:03:55

Roasted veggies - roast chunks or fingers of veg like parsnip, carrot, potatoes, courgette, squash, peppers and onion with a little bit of olive oil.

MarsLady Thu 21-Jul-05 17:08:27

how'd you do your broad beans wwb?

WigWamBam Thu 21-Jul-05 17:10:21

I just pod them and boil or steam them for about 5 minutes, mars. Or they're nice added to risottos and stews for the last few minutes of cooking.

MarsLady Thu 21-Jul-05 17:11:23

Excellent. The DTs can have them with their sausages then.

I got a load in my veg bag from school.

Thank you!

WigWamBam Thu 21-Jul-05 17:12:52

My dd likes them with sausages and mashed potatoes - we've been growing them in the veg patch and she loves just wandering down the garden, picking a few pods, and then being able to eat them five minutes later!

lunarx Thu 21-Jul-05 17:28:17

hmmm... he eats:

broccoli, cauliflower, peas, sweet corn (on and off cob), leeks (cooked with something), onion (cooked with something and sometimes raw), mushrooms cooked, tomato, courgette, cucumber, red pepper, spinach (i cook it in omelettes), potato, sweet potato, carrots (cooked only)..

(& probably more, just cant think right now!!)

broad beans sounds like a good idea! thanks! he's not had those and he does like regular green beans!

alison222 Thu 21-Jul-05 18:15:48

Roasted aubergine, sugar snap peas,other coloured roast peppers,
Lentils, all sorts of beans (use to thicken soups and casseroles)

PeachyClair Thu 21-Jul-05 20:53:00

Broad Beans are yummy raw, and great fun to grow next Spring in a pot! Really easy!

Have you tried getting him to make his own pizzas, and then giving him new veg to put on the top? Mine will eat almost anything like that!

Have to say, he does eat a very good selection already- I can never get mine to eat onion!

jamboure Fri 22-Jul-05 10:22:50

i'm quite lucky really ds1 and dts love all veggies thankfully

lunarx Fri 22-Jul-05 11:27:11

he quite likes raw red onion! (Strange son of mine!)

will have to try some roast aubergine...
we had tortilla pizzas last weekend, (he wasnt super keen on them!) oh yes... parsnips are always yummy...

thanks again!!

WigWamBam Fri 22-Jul-05 11:58:26

If he likes red onions, you could try roasting them, or stuffing and baking them.

lunarx Fri 22-Jul-05 12:59:45

thats a great idea, wigwambam! =)

(you MN'ers are great!!!)

alison222 Fri 22-Jul-05 17:00:16

butternut squash roasted yum
Have you tried cabbage?

lunarx Mon 25-Jul-05 16:43:49

butternut squash roasted is excellent! (he'll eat it on occasion, but isnt really fond of it)

i've made him cabbage with rice that he liked the first time but didn't the second.. will have to try it again soon...

oooh avocado dip!!
now i'm hungry!!

Pomi Tue 26-Jul-05 15:46:52

jamboure, I like your receipe of cauliflower. please can you tell me what kraft is.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now