Talk

Advanced search

Rice milk - anyone use it?

(16 Posts)
wobblyknicks Thu 21-Jul-05 10:22:46

When my dd just had diarrhea someone suggested giving her rice milk and she's decided she adores it. Does anyone else use it - is it ok to be used as a main drink everyday?

wobblyknicks Sat 23-Jul-05 21:56:12

No-one?

bobbybob Sat 23-Jul-05 22:37:48

How old is she - this is a biggie because it's fairly empty nutritionally.

Tumblemum Sat 23-Jul-05 23:23:17

I use it for my ds who is about 21 months. He has milk too just not the 'gallons' he would happily scoff. I buy the calcium added one.

wobblyknicks Sun 24-Jul-05 08:17:16

She's 2 (and one month), so its not going towards her daily diet really, just being an alternative to water (which she refuses to drink much of). I buy the one with soya added so there's some extra protein.

bobbybob Sun 24-Jul-05 08:19:02

For that age it's cool to use every day.

wobblyknicks Sun 24-Jul-05 08:21:50

Ta, checking there was nothing hideously wrong with it that no-one had told me No additives or sugar or any gunk so looks perfect. Trying not to get her used to too much juice, even diluted and didn't want her to have cow's milk for every drink.

Papillon Sun 24-Jul-05 08:27:37

We use it, dd loves it. You can buy brown rice milk

Should be able to buy Rice Dream in England here is some nutritional info about it...

http://www.imaginefoods.com/pages/products/ricedream.php

Would try and not give Soy on a regular basis... it has been linked to health problems. Not to scaremonger but small doses is probably better than large tis all. You might want to google about it and see what you find.

wobblyknicks Sun 24-Jul-05 08:30:19

Yep, rice dream is the one I get, haven't seen a brown one though. Will google soy but will run out of things that don't have a health scare attached soon!!! Is it any soy or GM soy?

wobblyknicks Sun 24-Jul-05 08:33:20

Ah, quickly googled, looks like its down to the chemicals in soy - will do the same as with everything else, give her a reasonable amount but not swamp her with the stuff.

bobbybob Sun 24-Jul-05 09:59:14

Personally I'd get the non soy version if it's just for a water substitute. Ds has chocolate soy milk as a treat once a week and the rest of the time water and 1 breastfeed a day.

HappyMumof2 Sun 24-Jul-05 16:30:42

Message withdrawn

maddyd Sun 24-Jul-05 16:43:48

My ds has it everyday, that and water. I get the one from Tescos with extra calicium.

Arabica Sun 24-Jul-05 18:02:05

DS has been drinking rice milk every day since he was about 15 months; it's widely available in Sainsburys, Tesco, etc. It's supposed to be the milk with the closest taste to breast milk.

Sugarmag Mon 25-Jul-05 12:37:50

DS (2 and a bit) can't take dairy so he drinks rice milk every day. We use either Rice Dream or Provamel - both come in unsweetened varieties with added calcium and vitamins. The soy thing is to do with hormones - estrogen I think. Ok in small amounts but probably not something we want our 2 year olds having large doses of. So I don't mind DS having 1 or two soy yogurts a week but wouldn't want him having 2 or 3 cups of it a day.

wobblyknicks Tue 26-Jul-05 19:49:35

Thanks everyone. DD's decided that she definitely prefers the added calcium one to the soya one so will just stick with that

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now