Talk

Advanced search

Preserved Lemons and Johnson's Flash - is there a taste difference?

(13 Posts)
Willow2 Wed 20-Jul-05 12:12:02

I would just like to issue a public health warning. Do not add preserved lemons to a spicy casserole that you have slaved to prepare. Far from giving it a taste of Morocco, it will add a whopping great big taste of Flash or any other kitchen cleaner that has a vaguely lemony smell. Possibly the most disgusting meal I have ever made - which was a shame as it tasted marvellous until they went in.

Caligula Wed 20-Jul-05 12:13:10

Whaaaat? Are you kidding? Preserved lemons are great - did you preserve them yourself, or buy them that way?

CarolinaMoon Wed 20-Jul-05 12:14:33

Nooooo!! They are gorgeous, lovely and sour (in a good way). Maybe the quality of the lemons is at fault? Too much pith possibly?

MascaraOHara Wed 20-Jul-05 12:15:35

pmsl!

Willow2 Wed 20-Jul-05 12:15:39

Bought them - some posh brand from Waitrose. What did I do wrong? I just chopped one up and whacked it in and it was completely inedible.

CarolinaMoon Wed 20-Jul-05 12:17:45

When did you put it in the casserole Willow? It takes a bit of time for them to absorb the flavours and soften a bit.

Willow2 Wed 20-Jul-05 12:20:10

Does two hours constitute enough time?

Willow2 Wed 20-Jul-05 12:20:26

They are the Devil's work.

Caligula Wed 20-Jul-05 12:21:52

Hmm. I've never used bought ones. It's really easy to preserve them yourself, and they taste really nice. You just cut them and get loads of salt and pour over the salt and leave them for about 3 or 4 weeks and then they're ready. But you have to rinse them out thoroughly, and throw away the pulp and just use the remaining peel. How do the Waitrose ones come?

Willow2 Wed 20-Jul-05 12:22:54

Made by Belazu - avoid, although your breath will never be as fresh again.

Willow2 Wed 20-Jul-05 12:23:28

Whole lemons - should I have ditched the insides?

CarolinaMoon Wed 20-Jul-05 12:24:31

Caligula that sounds fab. How long can you keep them packed in salt?

Caligula Wed 20-Jul-05 12:29:49

I think you can keep them for about a couple of months, depending on the weather. You can do it with limes too.

I would have thought you should throw the middle bit out, willow. PMSL at the fresh breath!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now