Talk

Advanced search

What age for starting to feed self with spoon?

(12 Posts)
IlanaK Tue 19-Jul-05 16:36:47

I know it takes practice, but when do you actually start this? Ds2 is now 13 months old and i don't know whether there is any point starting yet - is he old enough?

dinosaur Tue 19-Jul-05 16:37:42

Well, you won't know until you try! Give him a spoon and let him have a bash. If he's anything like my DS2 was, he'll pick it up much quicker than his older sibling did.

elliott Tue 19-Jul-05 16:45:17

oh yes, easily old enough. I found I had to give them their own spoon from around 9-10 months and certainly from around a year they were pretty keen to get on with it themselves. its not a pretty sight though!

koalabear Tue 19-Jul-05 16:47:17

my is 15 months, and has only just worked it out - well, he enjoys doing it - i'm not sure it's productive though

we usually do one spoon from him, and one spoon from mummy/daddy (just to make sure half of it end up in his tummy rather than tipped over the dogs head)

chicagomum Tue 19-Jul-05 16:48:37

made the mistake of not doing it soon enough with dd (didn't want to cope the the mess it would make)and she was still demanding to be fed when shewas over 2 so have given ds a spoon to hold/play with from the day we started weaning

WigWamBam Tue 19-Jul-05 16:50:05

My dd struggled with a spoon, when she still hadn't really got it at 21 months the HV suggested I give her a fork first, and she got on really well with that. Once she got the hang of the fork, she was soon using a spoon like a pro.

mandyc66 Tue 19-Jul-05 17:02:58

ds 3 10months and tries to use a spoon now. I let him despite the mess!!

flowerfairy Tue 19-Jul-05 19:51:16

I was really worried about this not so long ago, as ds didn't seem to have much clue and wanted to use his hands all the time, but did keep trying to give hima spoon and just put the food on and let him pick it up and aim for his mouth.

Now at nearly 16 months he is much better and using it more consistently, though still prefers his fingers, should I insist he uses a spoon/fork? Does anyone know?

helsi Tue 19-Jul-05 19:56:07

my dd is 2.5 and still insists on using her fingers as she can't be bothered with a spoon and fork although she can use them. We are really trying to make her use them at the moment and it is a struggle as she wants the food NOW and can't be bothered stabbing it or spooning it!!

Mojomummy Tue 19-Jul-05 20:32:13

My DD requests a bib & her spoon or fork when her tea is put on the table ! She is using the metal ones now, from about 20 mths. I'm pretty sure she had use of a plastic spoon (fave was the heinz soft ones) from about a year.

Mind you she usually eats things that need a spoon/fork such as pasta, fish fingers, spagetti bolognese, fish pie etc

IlanaK Wed 20-Jul-05 10:17:49

Well, I tried it this morning and he was so keen! It was porridge and he got the hang of it after a couple of spoonfulls. SOmetimes I had to guide his hand and sometimes not. It was messy, but not too bad. I am going to try again at lunch, but I think that will be harder as it is not as "stick to the spoon"ish as porridge.

Nemo1977 Wed 20-Jul-05 10:19:46

my ds always ha dhis own spoon from about 6mths so i would feed with one and he would try with the other. By 12mths he had mastered using it and is also great with a fork which he could use from about 14mths.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now