Talk

Advanced search

Help, my one year old son barely eats

(9 Posts)
pinkmagic1 Sat 16-Jul-05 22:09:04

My 13 month old son has never been a good eater and goes through stages when he eats alot and then stages when he eats very poorly. These last couple of weeks though I have really been at my wits end as he is barely eating a thing. Today all he ate was 2 spoons of readybrek, 2 spoons of spaghetti bolagnaise and 1 medium sized yoghurt. He has 3 6 ounce bottles a day, 2 of follow on milk and 1 of cows milk which he drinks with no problems and seems to enjoy. Also all finger foods apart from bread end up on the floor.
I really don't know what to do and any help of suggestions would be much apprieciated.

Fran1 Sat 16-Jul-05 22:14:12

Doesn't sound like anything to worry about to me, provided your son isn't underweight.

Hes getting plenty of milk. I like the baby whisperers idea of putting all the food in a sandwich bag that your child has eaten and then hold it to their tummy. Brings home just how tiny they are and the food you have listed plus the milk would look enormous compared to what a one year olds tummy size probably is.

My dd is now 2.5 but all her life she has had days where she will appear to eat virtually nothing, and then a day here or there where she will eat loads.

I think the most important thing is to remain relaxed about it and not to force children to eat. Let them experiment with their food and make a mess if they want to so they see mealtimes as enjoyable rather than a chore. Don't let him see how worried you are as it will rub off and have a negative effect.

collision Sat 16-Jul-05 22:17:19

I found with ds1 that he was filling up on so much milk that he didnt want to eat. So, I cut out some milk and any snacks and made him eat meals.

Why dont you give him 3 oz milk in the morning and then bfast. Water to drink after that and then lunch. 4oz in the afternoon and then dinner and a big bottle for the night.

If you make him hungry he might eat. HTH

(Am just going to check and see how much milk a 1yr old should have BTW!!!!!)

Fran1 Sat 16-Jul-05 22:18:42

I think a one year old should have a pint.

Yes i was going to suggest reducing the milk - you could drop the middle day bottle and offer smaller amount in a beaker.

nannyjo Sat 16-Jul-05 22:24:24

is he quite happy generally, awake and wanting to play as usual???

have you weighed him recently.

Ir he is still bright and bubbly and weight hasn't dropped then i wouldn't worry too much.

I could be a phase, the weather or a just going through a lul in his growth.

See your HV if you're still worried.

Worst thing to do is force him (i'm sure you don't) and make an issue which can have on going effects on feeding.

HTH Good luck

KiwiKate Sun 17-Jul-05 09:46:36

Sounds fine if he is putting on weight, is healthy and alert.

Just keep trying different foods eg fruits like banana. You might find something he really likes.

Some kids just don't eat a lot at that age. It is obviously stressing you and maybe he is picking up on that?

My ds1 was never interested in experimenting with the texture of food (although I know that most do), and he just didn't seem bothered with food unless we fed him (he only got into finger food when he was nearly 2!). We didn't want to make an issue of it, and although he has always sat in his highchair for breakfast, for other meals we do a "food toll". This means he can play, but has to come to us for a mouth full of food ie "food toll" (or we went to him before he could move around properly). It meant that feeding has always been very relaxed. He eats well, and now feeds himself in his highchair for breakfast (or if we go out).

Also, I was told to rather think of the amount they eat over a week (rather than daily). Like us they are hungry on some days, and not hungry on others.

MarsLady Sun 17-Jul-05 09:49:23

Each of mine at around 1 have gone through non eating phases. The DTs are now 17 months and they still have days when they seem to be on hungerstrike, but actually they graze more than I realise. As long as he is gaining weight, as the other posters have said, I wouldn't worry too much.

malachismum Wed 20-Jul-05 09:02:31

Hello. I was on here the other week with exactly the same post! I cut down my 1 year old sons milk to 5 oz breakfast and 5oz afternoon and 8 oz bed. I have now gone back to 9oz after breakfast and 9oz at night and have cut the afternoon bottle altogether.I also gave him a fork and we havent looked back. If he gets cranky when his afternoon bottle would have been, I give him a banana.

TracyK Wed 20-Jul-05 09:10:38

also - how much poo does he have in his nappy? I sometimes think my ds hardly eats anything - but then his nappy fills with poo - and I think ' ooh he must still eat a lot!'
offer milk after meals rather than before maybe? plus he may be teething so may not want fork/spoon in his mouth?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now